E-Commerce Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Question 8] Google Wave case

+11
edwige_aoudiani
Jeffreymchen
Leander
Naomi_Karnovsky
Janick_Edinger
Gene_Simpson
Natalie_Garcia
Brodie
florent_lefevre
Anders_Schmidt
Yann_Gerardi
15 posters

Go down

[Question 8] Google Wave case Empty [Question 8] Google Wave case

Post by Yann_Gerardi Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:45 pm

~~~~

Google Wave is a cross-platform web project that tends to make instant messaging, e-mails, translation, social networking and wikis converge under the same application.

How does Google Wave try to implement service-logic innovation?

How do you think it affects the customer's role?

~~~~
Yann_Gerardi
Yann_Gerardi

Back to top Go down

[Question 8] Google Wave case Empty Re: [Question 8] Google Wave case

Post by Anders_Schmidt Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 am

Yann_Gerardi wrote:
~~~~

Google Wave is a cross-platform web project that tends to make instant messaging, e-mails, translation, social networking and wikis converge under the same application.

~~~~

If you are not already familiar with Google Wave, then watch this 2 minute video to get the concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDu2A3WzQpo

and try to visit the website:

wave.google.com
Anders_Schmidt
Anders_Schmidt

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:25 pm

Wow... this is great ! It is kind of an unrecognized need. Unrecognized because everyone met this problem in teamwork but nobody knew how to do in different way. Now that I know it is doable, I need Google Wave.
E-mail was the only way for more than 40 years... Their solution is better than the existing one. And that's just 3,5% of the service they are offering.
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Brodie Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:07 pm

"How does Google Wave try to implement service-logic innovation?"
Google takes the tools that users have popularized (chat, twitter, email, etc) and assembled a platform that relates to the way people would like to communicate. I think the producers of Google Wave have focused on the way customers use email and other apps and brought them all closer to the user in an integrated format. The technology already exist; Google Wave puts it all together in a way that is beneficial to users.
Brodie
Brodie

Back to top Go down

Post by Brodie Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:18 pm

"How do you think it affects the customer's role?"

The customer, as with email and other communication and social networking apps, gets to interact with Google Wave and become part of the value creation process. The customer is at the center of the value creation cluster. Like with facebook, for example, the user creates the value by posting pictures, linking to friends, and commenting on other peoples' posts. All of the value is really created by the way people use the technologies. Further, the way in which people use google wave will dictate the next service-logic innovation in the future. Google can observe and understand the way people are using their program which helps them further innovate. The customer is the basis for the service-logic innovation by Google.
Brodie
Brodie

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie_Garcia Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:40 pm

Google wave, although using technologies that already exist such as IM, email, etc is still creating a completly new need in the social networking arena by combining them all in one place. With the creation of their communication platform they are not only being innovative, but they are telling the consumer that this is the new (and best) way to exchange information. Therefore, they enable customers to create value while offering service innovation.

Natalie_Garcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gene_Simpson Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:48 pm

It seems that Google Wave takes what the customer does everyday online through different tools, and combines all of that functionality in one place. This gives the user the power to create and manage their own data, email, blogs, etc at one simple location that is easily shared with all. In this way, the customer defines the service, and makes it personal. Also, since Google Wave is currently under review, Google is allowing a few customers to use and give them feedback on what could be improved, changed, or added.
Gene_Simpson
Gene_Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post by Janick_Edinger Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:08 pm

The question is, if there is really a need for all those services. Are there so many users who want to have a live-email-conversation. For my part, it is sufficient, if I can send emails and files to the people I want. The hardest part for Google might be, to convince the people that they relly need all those functions.

Janick_Edinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Naomi_Karnovsky Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:36 pm

Maybe that's the whole point. The article says that there are two ways to innovate: First one is to offer a better way to answer customers' needs (than other current offers in the market do), and the second is to offer something completely new that answers a need the customers didn't even know they had.

So from what I understand Google wave is kind of a combination... on one hand it basically takes the things we already do everyday, such as email, wikipedia, chats, and social networking, and integrates them all together to make it more efficient and convinient. On the other hand, I have a feeling many of the customers (me... [Question 8] Google Wave case Icon_redface ?) didn't know that what they use now isn't good enough. Or even more so, that they need something that puts everything together - for example - I don't know if I like the idea that everything I write is immediately seen by others - unlike in an email where I can edit and rewrite and make corrections before I send it.

To me it sounds like a really cool tool for certain things - for example I use Google docs for some of the group work projects in some classes - it's really convinient especially when everybody's busy and we can change ideas online without finding a time where we can all meet - so Google Wave to me sounds like a an imroved Google docs which I would use for that purpose, but I don't know if I'll exchange everything I use now(email, msn, facebook, etc.) for this new tool. But then again, maybe it's a need a haven't recognized yet [Question 8] Google Wave case Icon_wink.
Naomi_Karnovsky
Naomi_Karnovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by Leander Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:19 pm

I too agree that Google Wave implement logic service innovative, by changing the way in which users manage and share information. Users' roles have changed in that they can create value by adding information, pictures, editing emails, chat, all in one. Thus it is more user friendly and it adds more value for users. As the paper stated, "Service-logic perspective is based on the recognition that innovative new products enable customers to find new ways to service their personal needs. Customers do not seek products; they seek satisfaction." Thus we see that Google Wave is satisfying customers needs in a new and improved way. For eg. you can now communicate with someone who speaks a different language, using the translation feature in quick time. This breaks down the communication barrier that exists between individuals conducting business. Great Feature!!!!

Last edited by Leander on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatical error)
Leander
Leander

Back to top Go down

[Question 8] Google Wave case Empty Wave

Post by Jeffreymchen Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Google wave is an all in one application set to innovate the way we communicate, through the process of flattening all communication channels. It combines email and instant messaging to a platform so all can be done on one layer.

However, the streaming "real time" usage of this application could be its downfall.

All in one is great, but sometimes it may become more confusing.

Customers will maintain the same role as app users.
Jeffreymchen
Jeffreymchen

Back to top Go down

Post by edwige_aoudiani Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Google
Wave combines aspects of e-mail, instant
messaging, real-time collaboration and document processing into a
unified user experience. I think with this new tool, Google seeks to change fundamentally the way people communicate by
turning the Web into an integrated, real-time, multiway medium. So it indeed provides a very new and innovative type of service to the users - But I don't really see how it clearly involves the users in the using process, how it affect the consumer role. That is I don't really think we can call it a service-logic innovation : the customer will have the same role as before, it will just be easier for him...

edwige_aoudiani

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariya_Dadiomova Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:30 pm

I agree
with previous comments, the idea of a single communication platform sounds
great. At the same time in the beginning
it is hard to predict how fast will be the speed and how big will be the scope of
adoption of the new technology. Usually it is difficult to give up the existing
tools of communication as it implies switching costs, such as time to get use to
it, then create all needed contacts etc.

Trying
to answer to the first question: How does Google Wave try to implement service-logic
innovation?

Service-logic
innovation framework:

Smart offerings: Can we
make online group discussion more convenient, less time consuming, less
confusing for users? Create the single online
communication platform, using the wave technology.

Value constellation: Can we
enable the customer use other tools needed for communication so he/she would
spend time more efficient during the discussion? Add content
collaboration tool, spell checker, translation tool, ability to upload their
own images, videos, documents, maps etc.

Value integration: What
else will the online communication make easy and convenient? Make the Google wave technology open for
changes and improvements (open source)

Mariya_Dadiomova

Back to top Go down

Post by chloé_laluc Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Google Wave is an online tool for real-time communication and collaboration. A wave can be both a conversation
and a document where people can discuss and work together using richly formatted text, photos, videos, maps, and more. It is really innovative and usefull for example to ease communication during team work. Google wave focuses on customers' satisfaction and tries to involve users as much as possible in value creation, in that sense I think that they successfully implemented service-logic innovation
chloé_laluc
chloé_laluc

Back to top Go down

Post by Anders_Schmidt Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:14 am

Hi guys and girls

It is great to see that you have taken the time to study this question carefully, and I can
see it has created a great debate. =)

Good points have been discovered as we wish to show with this question. First, Google Wave
is actually based on the use of known and existing products, but secondly, it
creates a new user-experience with it.

Though, let me clarify a few items. It seems like some have a perception that Google Wave
is “only” a real time collaboration tool, this is not correct. Google Wave
combines both E-mail (Non-Real Time) and Instant Messaging (Real Time) etc, so it is a
combination of both, where the user can rewind the wave and replay it to see
what has happen when, and in which order. Hope that clarifies the concept.

A lot of you have commented on the usability of an “all-in-one” product.
I have some new questions for you with relations to that:

- What would it take to persuade you to use Google Wave? Sure it has to be easy to
use, but can you put some words on what is it that would give you the best user-experience?

- Does it matter that it is based on existing products? Do you see any advantages /
disadvantage?

- Which technical barriers do you see in administrating a product as Google Wave from Google’s
perspective?

Looking forward for your ideas!
/Anders
Anders_Schmidt
Anders_Schmidt

Back to top Go down

Post by Baptiste Marchis Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:51 am

Thank you Anders for your questions.

In term of user experience, I would say that Google Wave should show evident synergies that would convince me to move from several tools to one integrated tools. I think this is a key concern for Google and may be a key factor of success of relative failure for this project.

It seems like people show high willingness to go into new consumers experience but are still reluctant to switch completely from one technology to another.

This could be an advantage for Google Wave as it may capitalize on GMAIL success and propose an upgraded tool instead of a substitute to past technologies.
Baptiste Marchis
Baptiste Marchis

Back to top Go down

Post by Janick_Edinger Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:59 am

@Anders:

Wow...lots of questions. I'll try to answer two of them.

1) The most important factor for me to consider whether I will use Google Wave or not, is the existence of a need to use. When I don't have any regular activities where it is necessary to use a (for example) real-time communication basis to which lots of people can access, I won't install or learn it. Those effort and time might be a big barrier for me.

2) I think it really matters, that it is based on several programs. Since users are very used to work with the "old" programs, they might stick to them. When I want to send a file to an email-adress it is so convenient with Outlook, that I don't need any further technical improvements.

3) It's time to go to bed now...

Janick_Edinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Leander Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:13 am

I only learnt about Google Wave during this forum, and I did some research on it, looked at some videos on youtube on how to use it. I must admit, that I am already convinced to make use it. I absolutely love the fact that everything can be done in one application, especially the ability to translate conversations and to review changes made in documents etc. The fact that it is based on existing prodcuts, there's a risk is that if an existing product fails/is no longer available, this will affect the usability and reliability of Google Wave.
Leander
Leander

Back to top Go down

Post by taniapaola_gutierrez Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Baptiste Marchis wrote:Thank you Anders for your questions.

In term of user experience, I would say that Google Wave should show evident synergies that would convince me to move from several tools to one integrated tools. I think this is a key concern for Google and may be a key factor of success of relative failure for this project.

It seems like people show high willingness to go into new consumers experience but are still reluctant to switch completely from one technology to another.

This could be an advantage for Google Wave as it may capitalize on GMAIL success and propose an upgraded tool instead of a substitute to past technologies.

As mentioned, by having a "all in one product" can make things easier for the consumer, Google Wave puts all the necessarry tools to create its own environment, a combination of social network communication, working, and entertainment facilities online realtime communication platform.

What would motivate me to participate on Google Wave would be its functionality, easy use and, of course, the number of friends that are using this Social Network. It's very easy, what the group is doing, the latest fashion, and most important the number of people you collaborate with like colleagues, classmates, teachers, and friends that would be participating and using this application.

taniapaola_gutierrez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down