E-Commerce Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Business Model is e-trip?

+10
pierre_paitrault
Chi Fai_Cheng
Schulz_Martin
TA_Max_Huang
soraya_berdeil
betul_batik
chloé_laluc
Aurélie_Thiran
florent_lefevre
kathia Morano
14 posters

Go down

Which Business Model is e-trip? Empty Which Business Model is e-trip?

Post by kathia Morano Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:20 pm

Here you can find some Types of atomic business model according to Weill, Vital and Strobe. In which BM would you put e-trip company?

Model type
Description

Content provider

Provides content (info, digital products & services via intermediaries)

Direct-to-customer

Provides goods & services directly to consumer often surpassing traditional channel players

Full service provider

Provides a full range of services in one domain (ex: health care) directly & via complementors attempting to own the primary customer relationship

Intermediaries

Brings together buyers/sellers by concentrating information (ex: search engines, auctions)

Shared infrastructure

Brings together multiple competitors to cooperate by sharing common IT infrastructure

Value net integrator

Coordinates value net (or value chain) activities by gathering, synthesizing & distributing info

Virtual community

Facilitates and creates loyalty to an online community of people with a common interest enabling interaction and service provision (cross- and up-selling)

Single point of contact

Provides a firm-wide single point of contact consolidating all services provided by a large, multi-business organization (by customer events)

kathia Morano
kathia Morano

Back to top Go down

Which Business Model is e-trip? Empty Re: Which Business Model is e-trip?

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:28 pm

Nice chart ! Personally, I 'll go for Intermediaries... even if others seemed more appealing such as full service providers ^^ But, e-trip is just an online market place, isn't it?
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurélie_Thiran Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Well I guess that E-trip's business model is Intermediaries; their aim is to provide cheap flight tickets to customers, so they act as an intermediary between airlines and customers.

Aurélie_Thiran

Back to top Go down

Post by chloé_laluc Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:40 pm

I agree with you Fli Flo! I would have chosen internediaries too afro
chloé_laluc
chloé_laluc

Back to top Go down

Post by betul_batik Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:40 pm

I agree with Florent, I would choose intermediaries because in the end they just sell products of other companies (they allow buyers and sellers to meet) but as long as they tend to diversify their offer with car rentals and hotels I would also go for full service providers claiming that their domain is 'traveling'.

betul_batik

Back to top Go down

Post by soraya_berdeil Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:02 pm

i agree with everyone, i woul have chosen intermediaries thanks to etrip seller (companies' "flights") and buyers ( end customer) meet in the online market but on the other hand i tend to agree with betul because etrip don't propose only this service but multiple other services so it can be also full service provider
soraya_berdeil
soraya_berdeil

Back to top Go down

Post by TA_Max_Huang Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:03 pm

According to this question, I think Etrip is "Full service provider and Intermediaries." Because it provides a purchase solution (service) of airlines, hotels, cars and so on for its customers. Moreover, it also plays a role that intermediares do because Etrip indeed brings buyers and sellers together and collect affiliate fee from the suppliers.
TA_Max_Huang
TA_Max_Huang

Back to top Go down

Post by Schulz_Martin Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:11 pm

Hmmm I'm not sure but I think etrip could also be a content provider?? Because they send you a personal offer according to your wishes.
You (end consumer) ask etrip (content provider) search Airline websites (sellers)

etrip sends you information and the website, where they found the special offer, right? So it could be a content provider.

I found this quotation on their website:

Etrip is a field market research project that compared flight prices in the various online reservation channels. We handled over 1.100 requests from 71 different countries and tried to learn whether existing travel reservations solutions are able to give customers with complete travel options variety. We also tried to learn how good are the prices offered by the various players in the market and established a calculation called 'Money Saved' which was based on these results. Etrip research project is currently closed for requests.

http://www.etrip.nl/aboutus.php
Schulz_Martin
Schulz_Martin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi Fai_Cheng Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:33 pm

Like a lot of you, I also think the business model of ETRIP belongs to the model type Intermediaries. It brings buyers and sellers together.
Chi Fai_Cheng
Chi Fai_Cheng

Back to top Go down

Post by pierre_paitrault Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:08 pm

I think etrip is a content provider.

They provide to the customers classified informations (personnal offer for fights tickets) and services. They use airlines companies product to give the informations to the customer according to his need.

pierre_paitrault

Back to top Go down

Post by Naomi_Karnovsky Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:12 am

Do we really have to choose? I mean, it's true that Etrip is definitely an intermediary, but like some other people said, it could also be content provider. And according to Ettrip business plan, its ultimate aspiration is to become a full service provider.

The better they become at what they do, the more services they can offer and consequently more value for the user. As a result, they can expand into other categories and find new opportunities.
Naomi_Karnovsky
Naomi_Karnovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by Maiju_Hamalainen_ Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:19 am

I would also have to say that they are intermediate since they provide the flight information and tickets to the customers but they cannot provide the plane ride since they are not an airline.

Maiju_Hamalainen_

Back to top Go down

Post by shirleyo Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:50 am

I think the BM of Etrip is a hybrid of a immediary and virtual community. Here are my arguements.

Frist, Etrip is not a content provider. in page 4 the author mentions that Etrip belongs a travel reservations gateway model which not relynig on contnet links and revenues provided by onlne travel agencies. Rahter, it is benefited directly from end custmers. Since Etrip does not provide the content created on its own, it tends to invited users to share opinion.(Etrip's potential products list include "User-generated content".) It is combine both sorting best price (quantity) with valuable customer opinions (qualitity). A content provider might generate its revenues relying more on the advertisments, while Etrip tends to have only 15% of Advertisements income of its total revenue. p.8

Second, Etrip is mroe than a search engine. Etrip claims sthat they would offer customers an alll-in-one online travel purchasing experience. They also charge their customers directly through a pay-as-you-go method, when customers use their purchase assistance tools. P.5 Therefore, it does not just bring users and sellers together, but also tends to generate direct revenues from its services. (40% of its total revenue)
shirleyo
shirleyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Baptiste Marchis Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:47 pm

I agree with Naomi, why should we choose? Still, it seems really difficult to exclude any of the BM type as defined above. To my opinion any of them is in a position to create value for ETRIP.

Nevertheless I would say that some of these BM are prevailing:
-Intermediaries : as argued in previous posts.
-Full services provider : The value driver for Etrip is to add services to an initial request from the customer.
-Content provider : On the one hand, the potential addition of services into the customer baskets rely on the information quantity and accuracy.
-Virtual community : On the other hand, no information can be trusted without a real and active 2.0 community. (rating, experience sharing etc...)

Finally, from a B2B point of view we could even say that Etrip is a shared infrastructure as it provides the market actors with an effective distribution channel.
Baptiste Marchis
Baptiste Marchis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down