E-Commerce Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do people in your country use pirated software?

+20
Yann_Gerardi
luis_guerrero
Naomi_Karnovsky
Doris Yu
Jeffreymchen
Maiju_Hamalainen_
Alexandra_Engel
kathia Morano
pierre_paitrault
Edghill_Manuel
Schulz_Martin
florent_lefevre
Janick_Edinger
Leander
BartekWu
edith_bonnefond
jeremie_francois
Felix_Humbaire
chloƩ_laluc
shirleyo
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do people in your country use pirated software? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do people in your country use pirated software?

Post by shirleyo Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Maiju_Hamalainen_ wrote:Yes since
we have long winters in Finland and people spent a lot of time indoors and use all
kinds of computer programs. We have also a lot of people who are good with
computers so you can always find someone who can provide you the program.

Maiju, I am curious. What is the relationship of long winters on using pirated software? Do you mean you guys always build up virtual connections to other people, so you do not care much about in the real world?
shirleyo
shirleyo

Back to top Go down

Do people in your country use pirated software? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do people in your country use pirated software?

Post by Jeffreymchen Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:23 pm

This is a fun question.
I'd like to respond with...
How many people in our class has never used a pirated software, downloaded a mp3 or anything along those lines.

Find me a country without pirated software, then you've found me a country without a computer.

In US...yes, in Taiwan yes..
Jeffreymchen
Jeffreymchen

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris Yu Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:49 pm

There is a very common criticism of microsoft. In the very beginning of the introduction of windows, microsoft didn't care about the priracy at all. He didn't start to charge or file law suits for money until he gained a large amount of market share of PC OS.

After years of usage habit cultivating, students who were used to microsoft software have come to power of decision making in a certain business field. And they only stand very little chance to say no to microsoft. It's also a time for microsoft to harvest.

However, if any company wants to apply this strategy, he must make sure that he has a very deep pocket!

shirleyo wrote:I have some arguements for the production of pirated goods.

1. Some said, even LV, GUCCI knew exactly the products were pirated in the developing countries, for example, China. But they just choose to turn a blind eye on them, becasue they believe the pirated goods could play a role for customer training for them. They could increase their brand populairty in these potential customers. They believe once they have earned enough money, these custoemrs will sooner or later turn to buy the proprietary products. Do you agree with this arguement? Do you think this arguement could be applied to the information goods?

Doris Yu

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris Yu Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:54 pm

That's true. And I would like to add that the more prosperer the internet is, the easier to access pirated information goods.

Jeffreymchen wrote:This is a fun question.
I'd like to respond with...
How many people in our class has never used a pirated software, downloaded a mp3 or anything along those lines.

Find me a country without pirated software, then you've found me a country without a computer.

In US...yes, in Taiwan yes..

Doris Yu

Back to top Go down

Post by Naomi_Karnovsky Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:14 pm

I think that in some places social deterrence won't really work, at least for huge companies like Microsoft. The reason is that Microsoft is often viewed as the "evil corporate big brother" Do people in your country use pirated software? - Page 2 Icon_geek , and sometimes "cheating" it and getting to use its software for free is considered to actually be "cool" and rebellious - "cheating the system" and not letting the rich people become richer... especially within young people.
Naomi_Karnovsky
Naomi_Karnovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by luis_guerrero Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:02 pm

In Peru the piracy is "an institution", it's not only practiced by everyone but it's aproved by the society, too.

The Government makes big efforts for finishing with this practice but these actions are "bad looking" for the most of the people, because two reasons:

1. In general the population thinks that the knowledge and intelectual production is a public property. On this point of view, they feel that everyone should gain access to technology and knowledge for a very low price (the general of the population wants to pay a price but very low, just for covering the costs of the products)

2. The intelectual production is usually imported from another developed countries and it's very expensive for a mean Peruvian, then there is a feeling that paying such a high price for that intelectual production is incresing the richness of those companies and countries (a mean Peruvian is more willing to pay more for a intelectual property produced in Peru).

I think this behaviour is repeated in many developing countries like Peru.

In this enviroment, What do you think COULD BE A GOOD MOVEMENT FOR THE COMPANIES WHICH WANT TO PROTECT THEIR INTELECTUAL PROPERTY?

Companies like Microsoft made a kind of "tacit agreement" with the Government for just control the piracy in the public intituions (because some of the public administration's offices use a pirat version of Windows, too) and the big Companies, leaving the small companies and the common citizen use a pirate version without problems.

Do you think this is a smart movement?
luis_guerrero
luis_guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by Yann_Gerardi Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Schulz_Martin wrote:In Switzerland, using piracy products is kind of common. I don't say much people use it, but there are some. Especially younger people like high school students, university students etc use it, because it's really expensive to buy it in Switzerland Do people in your country use pirated software? - Page 2 Icon_mad

In fact, downloading pirated content is legal in Switzerland. Only the upload of such content is illegal, although it is only enforced against people who actively make money out of it. Therefore, the common users like you and me can download without fear of legal repression.
About the factors that may influence the use of pirated softwares, I don't think ethical factors really matter (the only persons that I know who think it's unethical are lawyers^^). Otherwise, lower prices in the software market would undoubtedly reduce the use of pirated downloading as prices are above the wtp of many people.
Yann_Gerardi
Yann_Gerardi

Back to top Go down

Post by BartekWu Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:03 pm

This is a follow-up question, so that our discussion keeps going. Of course you may still answer to main topic question

So, here it goes: What is your approach to piracy? If your friend wanted to give you illegal copy of a program or you got information that he is a pirate and is making profit on it, what would be your reaction? why?
BartekWu
BartekWu

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi Fai_Cheng Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:49 pm

BartekWu wrote:This is a follow-up question, so that our discussion keeps going. Of course you may still answer to main topic question

So, here it goes: What is your approach to piracy? If your friend wanted to give you illegal copy of a program or you got information that he is a pirate and is making profit on it, what would be your reaction? why?

My reaction will be that this is a bad situation. The more people make use of pirated software, the less the developers will be able to create better software in the future, because they have less money for research and development.
Chi Fai_Cheng
Chi Fai_Cheng

Back to top Go down

Post by uroi.salii Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:59 pm

In Palau (small tiny tiny island north of Indonesia) Pirated software has been introduced but not widely used. Pirated software are used between teenagers and young adults.

Businesses use original software. I know that they are making policies to bad the use of pirated softwares and products (movies). Don't know how well that will go but its worth a shot.
uroi.salii
uroi.salii

Back to top Go down

Post by Yann_Gerardi Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:25 am

BartekWu wrote:So, here it goes: What is your approach to piracy? If your friend wanted to give you illegal copy of a program or you got information that he is a pirate and is making profit on it, what would be your reaction? why?

I guess it depends on the regulation of the country where you live =)
Yann_Gerardi
Yann_Gerardi

Back to top Go down

Post by shirleyo Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:44 am

luis_guerrero wrote:In Peru the piracy is "an institution", it's not only practiced by everyone but it's aproved by the society, too.

The Government makes big efforts for finishing with this practice but these actions are "bad looking" for the most of the people, because two reasons:

1. In general the population thinks that the knowledge and intelectual production is a public property. On this point of view, they feel that everyone should gain access to technology and knowledge for a very low price (the general of the population wants to pay a price but very low, just for covering the costs of the products)

2. The intelectual production is usually imported from another developed countries and it's very expensive for a mean Peruvian, then there is a feeling that paying such a high price for that intelectual production is incresing the richness of those companies and countries (a mean Peruvian is more willing to pay more for a intelectual property produced in Peru).

I think this behaviour is repeated in many developing countries like Peru.

In this enviroment, What do you think COULD BE A GOOD MOVEMENT FOR THE COMPANIES WHICH WANT TO PROTECT THEIR INTELECTUAL PROPERTY?

Companies like Microsoft made a kind of "tacit agreement" with the Government for just control the piracy in the public intituions (because some of the public administration's offices use a pirat version of Windows, too) and the big Companies, leaving the small companies and the common citizen use a pirate version without problems.

Do you think this is a smart movement?

So, my question is: since almost everyone agree that people use pirated software in their countries and many have mentioned the common criticisms of Mircrosoft's big brother position, how can Microsoft keep its leading position in market share? Is Mircrosoft taking a successful piracy control strategy, just as Luis said, it controls the public institution and let go the commen citizen, for example students like us. The research findings in this paper (OSS/FS has little impact on WTP for MS office )seem could identical this assumption. Do you agree with this statement? Do people in your country use pirated software? - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

If so,
1. Do you think Microsoft still need to rethink its strategy to jointly counter piracy with other proprietary software producers, or just remain current two-faced strategy?

2. Does anyone know whether or not Microsoft take different strategy in piracy control in different countries? Do people in your country use pirated software? - Page 2 Fresse
shirleyo
shirleyo

Back to top Go down

Post by BartekWu Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:06 am

I guess it is an issue of age as well. However you look at it, piracy is a disease of our times. Our grandparents did not have to cope with it, technology is a bit too complicated now for our parents (at least for mine:P ) and we are the ones who somehow control the mainstream right now.
BartekWu
BartekWu

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie_Garcia Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:42 am

In Bolivia, much like Luis mentioned about Peru, pirated software is commonly used. There is a huge second hand market in Bolivia for all technology-related products (noteboooks, cell phones, etc). I believe it is a "use it and pass it on/sharing" type of mentality. In other words, I bought something, I got my money's worth, now you have a go with it. And I think this is the same idea when it comes to pirated software. A few people find pirated copies and then pass it amongst their friends. This is how it spreads so quickly. And of course, because it is a 3rd world country, money is always a big reason to use cheaper products.

Natalie_Garcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi Fai_Cheng Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:52 am

Are there actually countries where pirated software is just a minor portion?
Chi Fai_Cheng
Chi Fai_Cheng

Back to top Go down

Post by edwige_aoudiani Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:15 am

I don't know about other countries but I can confirm most of people in France are pirated software users..

edwige_aoudiani

Back to top Go down

Post by shirleyo Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:33 am

Chi Fai_Cheng wrote:Are there actually countries where pirated software is just a minor portion?
Have you ever read Schiller’s book Culture Inc? The author asserts the growth of private corporate power is seen as the prime contractor in the construction of contemporary boundaries of statement and the corporate capture of the sites of public statement. I think the country such as the US which has strong cultural industries, such as Hollywood, pop music industry, etc. Through the spread of symbolic cultural products the American economy has widened its roles. Likewise, the Japenese and Korean soap operas have also widespread in Asia during the past dacade. I think these countries might have stronger voice in fighting for piracy control, since in the Information age the ways of spread the information goods are multiple and speedy. You may take a look the film Gautam has provided under the discussion title: “What should Microsoft do to raise WTP in your country.” I think it well explained the producers’ point of view.
shirleyo
shirleyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2