E-Commerce Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions : THE INITIAL LAUNCHING ZONE

+8
Naomi_Karnovsky
Florent_Blanchard
Alexandra_Engel
kathia Morano
Yann_Gerardi
florent_lefevre
Vincent_Alliaga
chloé_laluc
12 posters

Go down

Questions : THE INITIAL LAUNCHING ZONE Empty Questions : THE INITIAL LAUNCHING ZONE

Post by chloé_laluc Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:32 pm

➢ Is Benelux a good starting point for launching his website? Are his restrictions to these countries arguable?
chloé_laluc
chloé_laluc

Back to top Go down

Questions : THE INITIAL LAUNCHING ZONE Empty Re: Questions : THE INITIAL LAUNCHING ZONE

Post by Vincent_Alliaga Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:03 pm

I think Benelux can be a good point, give the point that new technologies are very well implemented in those countries. However, I'm not sure the panel will be representative, because those countries are very small compared to France or Germany for instance.

If I where the site's owner, I'll start by Germany because it's way larger and people are quite receptive to new opportunities.
Vincent_Alliaga
Vincent_Alliaga

Back to top Go down

Questions : THE INITIAL LAUNCHING ZONE Empty Re: Questions : THE INITIAL LAUNCHING ZONE

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:23 pm

The real problem is the non-representiveness of Benelux (no offense for
our friends coming from these countries). The results obtained there
will not be necessary the same in other places in Europe
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Yann_Gerardi Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:27 pm

I don't agree: there is a lot of demand for low cost flights everywhere in Europe, so why would a low cost flights search engine be more successful in a place than another?
Yann_Gerardi
Yann_Gerardi

Back to top Go down

Post by kathia Morano Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:29 pm

The other real problem of the Benelux customers'target: when e-trip decided to enter in that type of market, the company should have considered the language's culture. In the exhibit 1, you can see that the website is available is Dutch, German and English or , 90% of the population living in Brussels (capital of Europe) speak French. Instead of their mother's tongue, all those people have to choose another language which can be really inconfortable and can lead to confusions.
kathia Morano
kathia Morano

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent_Alliaga Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Yann_Gerardi wrote:I don't agree: there is a lot of demand for low cost flights everywhere in Europe, so why would a low cost flights search engine be more successful in a place than another?

Being successful or not isn't the problem. We're talking about testing website. So we need a representative panel of people. That's the major issue of Benelux (as Florent said, no offence !)
Vincent_Alliaga
Vincent_Alliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:31 pm

You've got a point there ! I think the issue with the launching zone has also to do with the extension of the website (.nl) Indeed, when looking from France, you will not see this website among the first commercial links.
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Yann_Gerardi Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Benelux has a 27 millions population...Do you really think it is not enough, specially when we consider that Holland has one of the highest internet penetration rate of Europe?
Yann_Gerardi
Yann_Gerardi

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent_Alliaga Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:13 pm

Yann_Gerardi wrote:Benelux has a 27 millions population...Do you really think it is not enough, specially when we consider that Holland has one of the highest internet penetration rate of Europe?

27 millions population which are splitted in 3 countries

And in my opinion, behaviors are quite different between those three countries
Vincent_Alliaga
Vincent_Alliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:24 pm

Well, I agree with Vincent. The European Union has 500 million inhabitants, however it would be easier to predict the behavior of the USA with their 380 million inhabitants.
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra_Engel Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:01 pm

A few good arguments against BENELUX were already mentioned, such as
the language of the website and representativeness of the Benelux
countries. How about etrips chances to be successful in these markets.
I am assuming that if the people from Benelux search for cheap flights,
they mainly want to fly from their home countries. However, if etrips
focus lies on no frills airlines, then due to the lack of options in
these countries would mean they cannot prove their concept of finding
lowest prices as easily. The only big airport is Amsterdam and that restricts the potential for etrips to really make a difference.

Alexandra_Engel

Back to top Go down

Post by Florent_Blanchard Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:10 pm

I think it is not a bad idea at all to begin in Benelux.
Benelux is indeed well developed. When looking on the internet for cheap tickets, everybody is looking for some safe flights at the same time.
seeing .nl on the website, some customers may feel more confident than if it was frome other less developed countries (even if some companies of those countries may be way safer than some in developed countries).
But i agree with Yan at the same time, i do not think that the lanching zone does not really matter...

Florent_Blanchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Naomi_Karnovsky Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:43 pm

I assume that one of the reason they decided to begin with Benelux was the fact that Har Adir and his team actually operate in Holland. Moreover, considering that the Etrip project emanated from Fly Open Sky Ltd.'s previous experience in servicing unviersity students (presumably in Holland) it only makes sense that they start with the market they are most familiar with - obviously that is where they noticed the demand for cheap flights and the gap on the supplying side. Starting with other, maybe bigger countries like France or Germany would mean working with a market they aren't as familiar with and therefore could have more problems attracting users and anticipating their needs.
Naomi_Karnovsky
Naomi_Karnovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by chloé_laluc Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:51 pm

I think that the fact that the website was not available in french is a big mistake in terms of strategy; given that Etrip was launched in Benelux; for instance, in Belgium a lot of people speak french and as a french native speaker, I naturally prefer to shop online using websites available in french ( above all when I have to pay a lot of money, such as for an airline ticket or when I book a hotel for my holydays)

What is your point of view (especially for those who come from Belgium?) bounce
chloé_laluc
chloé_laluc

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurélie_Thiran Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:23 pm

I agree with Chloé, it is always easier to express yourself in your mother tongue. Moreover, according to eurostat, german, french and english are the 3 most spoken languages in the EU (15 members). Dutch is only spoken by 2%, so it might not be necessary to launch the site in that language.

Source: http://www.promotics.net/ticktack/survey/eustats.htm

Aurélie_Thiran

Back to top Go down

Post by kathia Morano Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:36 pm

I think that Naomi has right. e-trip began with a customers' target that the CEO already knows. In Benelux market, the company has probably more information about the competitors than in other markets. If they have all the competitive advantage from the Benelux competitors, the company can after build its own competitive advantage according to other and make a real differentiation. In the french or german markets, they maybe will face same competitors with the same competitive advantage than e-trip.
kathia Morano
kathia Morano

Back to top Go down

Post by betul_batik Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:59 pm

chloé_laluc wrote:I think that the fact that the website was not available in french is a big mistake in terms of strategy; given that Etrip was launched in Benelux; for instance, in Belgium a lot of people speak french and as a french native speaker, I naturally prefer to shop online using websites available in french ( above all when I have to pay a lot of money, such as for an airline ticket or when I book a hotel for my holydays)

What is your point of view (especially for those who come from Belgium?) bounce

Yep, I agree with you girls, as a Belgian french native speaker I feel more comfortable with french than with dutch or english eventhough it's still not a real problem when it's about booking a flight. But yes, he wanted to launch his concept in the BeNeLux so it's a big mistake not having translated the site in French because it's one of the official languages in Belgium. It seems like he didn't know much about the market he wanted to reach... Furthermore it would have been a positive point in case he wanted to expand to other countries such as France, for instance, in order to make French people closer to the brand.

betul_batik

Back to top Go down

Post by betul_batik Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:07 pm

Moreover, the only contact phone number is a dutch one so if you can just speak french, first you won't feel comfortable with the website and then if you want to make a call to get some more information (as the site is not available in French) I'm not sure you will have someone answering in French... So was he really targeting benelux or just dutch and german speaking people from the benelux?

betul_batik

Back to top Go down

Post by kathia Morano Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:11 pm

I think the target was just dutch and german people from the Benelux. If he had studied in Holland, I'm sure that he knows that Belgium people speak french also. That's why maybe he puts english as a language too. Belgian french people will not feel disadvantaged Very Happy
kathia Morano
kathia Morano

Back to top Go down

Post by TA_Max_Huang Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:13 pm

I think the major concern may not be where the best country to conduct this business is. If Etrip chooses the right market segmentation and have a promising business model, it would be successful in many countries becasue there is always a demand for a better price. Furthermore, I suggest that Etrip should localize the website and hire some local employees to fully understand what the customers in centain area really need.
TA_Max_Huang
TA_Max_Huang

Back to top Go down

Post by kathia Morano Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:19 pm

ya, but you will never implement a start up and reach immediately a worldwide demand. The national customers' target and segmentation is the first priority I think and then, after buidling a strong brand equity in your country, we can maybe reach an European demand or a worldwide demand.
But to answer your question, Outsourcing or Offshoring?
kathia Morano
kathia Morano

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi Fai_Cheng Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:05 pm

kathia Morano wrote:ya, but you will never implement a start up and reach immediately a worldwide demand. The national customers' target and segmentation is the first priority I think and then, after buidling a strong brand equity in your country, we can maybe reach an European demand or a worldwide demand.

What withhold you from starting in different countries? Why is the national customers the first priority? For an internet based search engine for flight tickets, it doesn't require too much effort and it doesn't cost too much to launch in different contries, right?
Chi Fai_Cheng
Chi Fai_Cheng

Back to top Go down

Questions : THE INITIAL LAUNCHING ZONE Empty Double threads

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:27 pm

Chi Fai_Cheng wrote:
kathia Morano wrote:ya, but you will never implement a start up and reach immediately a worldwide demand. The national customers' target and segmentation is the first priority I think and then, after buidling a strong brand equity in your country, we can maybe reach an European demand or a worldwide demand.

What withhold you from starting in different countries? Why is the national customers the first priority? For an internet based search engine for flight tickets, it doesn't require too much effort and it doesn't cost too much to launch in different contries, right?

I think you missed the point there. In fact, the website extension was .nl so to be viewed by the inhabitants of Benelux. If you want to be reachable by French people, it is best you give your site the extension .fr (and so on and so forth...). And unfortunately, it can be expensive if domain sharks already bought the extension you want. Please refer to the "intellectual property" topic.
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down