E-Commerce Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Link to ETRIP website

+14
timmy.wang
Natalie_Garcia
uroi.salii
julie
edwige_aoudiani
Jeffreymchen
soraya_berdeil
Brodie
Janick_Edinger
edith_bonnefond
florent_lefevre
Vincent_Alliaga
luis_guerrero
chloé_laluc
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Link to ETRIP website Empty Link to ETRIP website

Post by chloé_laluc Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:24 pm

Hey guys, please check the link below just to see the website of etrip. What do you think about the it? especially about the design? do you think it's easy the use?
Feel free to post any comment afro

http://www.etrip.nl/index.php
chloé_laluc
chloé_laluc

Back to top Go down

Link to ETRIP website Empty Re: Link to ETRIP website

Post by luis_guerrero Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:59 pm

The domain .nl is from Netherlands, right?
I think, using that domain limits a lot the company's visibility in the whole Europe; they should use the domains .com or .eu.

One additional observation is: the website doesn't have an attractive design and it has many errors messages or restrictions when the customer try to use it.
luis_guerrero
luis_guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent_Alliaga Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:17 pm

luis_guerrero wrote:The domain .nl is from Netherlands, right?
I think, using that domain limits a lot the company's visibility in the whole Europe; they should use the domains .com or .eu.

One additional observation is: the website doesn't have an attractive design and it has many errors messages or restrictions when the customer try to use it.

According to web archives, the site has not been updated for one year.. that's a shame.
Vincent_Alliaga
Vincent_Alliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Is the website already dead ?
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by edith_bonnefond Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:37 pm

Vincent_Alliaga wrote:

According to web archives, the site has not been updated for one year.. that's a shame.

I agree that the design is not a real success. Besides, you need a passport to drop a request...that's weird and not really user-friendly
edith_bonnefond
edith_bonnefond

Back to top Go down

Post by Janick_Edinger Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:58 pm

Here is some kind of solution to many of our questions. It is a great timing that ETRIP published that blog entry three days ago. (The one before is older than one year). So there you can read about the reasons why the idea failed to become successful. It is very interesting to read the information ex post after we discussed on the basis of the information we had before.

Go to:
Etrip Blog

Janick_Edinger

Back to top Go down

Post by edith_bonnefond Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:08 pm

edith_bonnefond wrote:
Vincent_Alliaga wrote:

I agree that the design is not a real success. Besides, you need a passport to drop a request...that's weird and not really user-friendly

...i meant password of course...not passport Link to ETRIP website Icon_scratch
edith_bonnefond
edith_bonnefond

Back to top Go down

Post by Brodie Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 pm

"Despite long efforts, we never actually managed to get enough venture capital to execute our search engine, which was the core of it all. We received some grants and small seed capital, but since we lacked a dedicated techie in the core team it was hard getting passed the ‘engine obstacle’ without paying for developers, and we were left with plans and slideshows, but could not create any real added value." (a quote from the Etrip Blog explaining why Etrip failed to 'get off the ground', pardon the pun)
Brodie
Brodie

Back to top Go down

Post by soraya_berdeil Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:26 pm

chloé_laluc wrote:Hey guys, please check the link below just to see the website of etrip. What do you think about the it? especially about the design? do you think it's easy the use?
Feel free to post any comment Link to ETRIP website Icon_rr

[url=http://www.etrip.nl/index.php
http://www.etrip.nl/index.php[/quote[/url]]

and would you use it personally?
soraya_berdeil
soraya_berdeil

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:50 pm

If it were working correctly yes ! As it is supposed to offer tickets 10% cheaper than their competitors... Link to ETRIP website Icon_razz
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by chloé_laluc Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:22 pm

I will use it personally if it were working correctly, without having to use a passeword, of course, and if the interface were a little bit more original. It's to common and has nothing that would attract customer's attention, compared to other websites such as Opodo and Expedia
chloé_laluc
chloé_laluc

Back to top Go down

Post by chloé_laluc Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:08 pm

Har Adir identified four factors as being the most important differenciators, one of these four differenciators was "convenience"; he said "our service tool would make online purchasing ever more convenient, which might attract customers who previously preferred to shop offline because it was more comfortable than the online world".

Just with a quick look at the website, I know that if I were an offline shopper for air tickets I would not change my mind and buy my tickets online using this website...

Maybe Har Adir should have focused more on this issue while developping ETRIP...

What do you think about that?
chloé_laluc
chloé_laluc

Back to top Go down

Link to ETRIP website Empty Website Design - Poor man's Expedia with a splash of Priceline

Post by Jeffreymchen Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi all,

In between my departure to Taiwan and my last job as a finance analyst, I took a contract job at my brothers Web Design firm. There, I was in charge of website critique, functionality, and to take mass survey's on user satisfaction.

So from that standpoint I think the website seems to have had a very low budget.
It has the user interface portion of most travel websites, and the standard, "destination to" "departure" portion. They do not fully utilize the size of the size and limit the functionality of the homepage. However, if it is simplicity they are going after, they do hit that point. But there is simplicity with class, and just flat out boring. They need to bring in images and bring some life the stale site.

I dislike using the site as a whole and even through it to my old co-workers for some feedback. This is what I heard.

"Great and simple, but if they are trying to be a big company, this won't do"
"Simple"
"Boring"

There was much more, but those are the most common ideas coming up.
Overall, I believe if they are trying to get to that next level of becoming the headliner in the this industry, they will have to dump a lot more money into their budget. For as, this simple little website is their product. This is it.

J
Jeffreymchen
Jeffreymchen

Back to top Go down

Post by edwige_aoudiani Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:01 am

And I think if their goal is to get really easy to use for customers, they should improve the few they already provide:
- put a small calendar when it comes to chose for the date
- put all-made suggestions for the additional remarks
- no password (not so easy to know how to get one...)

Easy to use doesn't mean as less info as possible...

edwige_aoudiani

Back to top Go down

Post by julie Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:16 am

I quite like the simplicity of this website, when one is using some other competitors website, searches are always interrupted by advertisings, which is really boring, and quite annoying.Yet, they may cope with a dilemma soon, which would be : without advertising, it s harder to earn money from a website... so they should maybe develop some kind of partnership as long as it does not bother the customer too much.
Then, i think that their way of answering to your searches (sending you emails a few hours later) is quite good, because it is easier to compare thereafter. When somebody is looking for cheap flights, he will do a lot of searches with different options, and will forget some really easily. With this email system, this problem is solved. In addition I like the way of answering. Moreover I think it creates a personal relationship between the customer and the website. You can think that an adviser works on your special case, like the travel agencies do.
In my opinion, this website is innovative in some part, but may earn in convenience.

julie

Back to top Go down

Post by uroi.salii Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:52 am

I also like the simplicity of the website however, the fact the you can't check the prices of the tickets at a click of the button is not convenient. I think that waiting period is much longer.

Take Travelocity for example, you can just enter your destinations and click and wait for the screen to give you the different airfares. Due to convenience purposes I would prefer to use other sites.
uroi.salii
uroi.salii

Back to top Go down

Post by Janick_Edinger Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:02 am

@Edwige:

It's a very good point you mentioned (and others mentioned before).

Not many users are willing to try to understand a homepage before testing the service. It should be like: come - see - and be exited

Otherwise an internet user will loose his interest. Just because there are so many offers.

Janick_Edinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie_Garcia Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:04 am

uroi.salii wrote:Take Travelocity for example, you can just enter your destinations and click and wait for the screen to give you the different airfares. Due to convenience purposes I would prefer to use other sites.

I agree. I see no added benefits by using the etrip website. If you've used other travel websites before, and they work for you, why would you switch to something that seems worse and less convenient? I'd stick with what works.

Natalie_Garcia

Back to top Go down

Post by timmy.wang Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:00 am

i think the service provided by the website is not professional.
watch out the words near the bottom:
" The site now operates in a closed alpha mode. Please enter your access code here: "
When a customer comes in, how could he be sure this site is trusted ?Furthermore , i think the website has potential security problem

timmy.wang

Back to top Go down

Post by TA_Max_Huang Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 am

Hey, I think perhaps the founder of Etrip would like to reply to your questions. Let's wait and see. Ha ha...
TA_Max_Huang
TA_Max_Huang

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent_Alliaga Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:08 am

TA_Max_Huang wrote:Hey, I think perhaps the founder of Etrip would like to reply to your questions. Let's wait and see. Ha ha...

I think he could enjoy this free study about the ways to improve his website...
Vincent_Alliaga
Vincent_Alliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by shirleyo Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:55 am

I did not found Etrip introducing its affiliations on its website. How do I know the search engine could really offer me a real best price and valuable information? If the users only see this website is short of funding, and built by one man band, Har Adir, they will doubt the credibililty of the infomation this website could offer. Link to ETRIP website Icon_cyclops
shirleyo
shirleyo

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyOpenSky Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:40 am

Hey guys, I'm the founder of Etrip and I came across your discussion.

I'd like to point out that the website seen on Etrip.nl was part of a research study we ran, and that website was left as an evidence to the public study. It was not intended to act as a commercial service.

What was intended to act as a commercial service and is discussed about in your case is an and automated search engine with a different design, which you could view here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/20215703/Etrip-Design-Vision

----
As for the design comments: design is highly important on the internet but at the time of development we had very limited resources (and a wrong choice of designer...) - A website competing on consumer attention with giants such as Expedia and Priceline as you mention, must look better.

I'd be happy to hear your feedback about the design I linked to, and in general about the business proposition.

Good luck with the study!

Oz Har Adir

FlyOpenSky

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent_Alliaga Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:37 am

FlyOpenSky wrote:Hey guys, I'm the founder of Etrip and I came across your discussion.

I'd like to point out that the website seen on Etrip.nl was part of a research study we ran, and that website was left as an evidence to the public study. It was not intended to act as a commercial service.

What was intended to act as a commercial service and is discussed about in your case is an and automated search engine with a different design, which you could view here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/20215703/Etrip-Design-Vision

----
As for the design comments: design is highly important on the internet but at the time of development we had very limited resources (and a wrong choice of designer...) - A website competing on consumer attention with giants such as Expedia and Priceline as you mention, must look better.

I'd be happy to hear your feedback about the design I linked to, and in general about the business proposition.

Good luck with the study!

Oz Har Adir

Hello,

I've seen the linked design and it's much better than the previous version : clear, clean and more ergonomic. I like the idea of the map on step 1. There are huge buttons, that's good because the user can see exactly what's the page is doing.

If I where you designer, I'd add some contrasts and maybe some margins to add a bit more space in the page. And I think a room for an advertising banner could be useful : with enough traffic, it can generate some money. Finally, I think the design is a bit too similar too priceline.

But this new design is way more evolved than the previous and I think it is more efficient too. That's a good point "cause people are sensitive when you want to help them Smile

Another point I'd like to add about giant website design : for instance, I think expedia design is terrible and the site is now too big for a major and quick re-design. There is plenty of room on the web for little and well-designed websites.

So, good luck !
Vincent_Alliaga
Vincent_Alliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by ProfessorHuang Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:45 am

Thank you Har Adir for pointing this out. The Etrip website is simply available for case discussion, not for commercial operation, so don't have to focus too much on the design aspect. The purpose of this case discussion is "business plan." What should a good business plan look like and what components should it contains in order for it to win financial support?

ProfessorHuang

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next