E-Commerce Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DO YOU WANT TO BUY A COMPUTER WITH LINUX?

+17
Yann_Gerardi
Vincent_Alliaga
Doris Yu
walter_muller
Alexandra_Engel
Anders_Schmidt
Edghill_Manuel
Maiju_Hamalainen_
florent_lefevre
Brodie
jeremie_francois
chloé_laluc
Anais_Grelet
edith_bonnefond
Felix_Humbaire
lawrence_lo
luis_guerrero
21 posters

Go down

DO YOU WANT TO BUY A COMPUTER WITH LINUX? Empty DO YOU WANT TO BUY A COMPUTER WITH LINUX?

Post by luis_guerrero Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:04 am

Do you prefer to buy a Laptop which includes a version of Microsoft Windows for a price of US$800? or you are more willing to pay US$650 for the same Laptop but with the OSS/FS offered by Linux? Do you think that offering this two options in the market, the computer producers could reach more consumer's segments? Why don't they do it?pirat

Until now, we can summarize your opinions saying that one consumer is not willing to change to an OSS/FS, even if this is considerably cheaper, because two main factors:

1. Network externalities: the use of another network users and the compatibility for sharing files.

2. Costs of Learning: this cost includes time cost and monetary cost (such us the costs paid by the public administrations in Germany or France).

But, Do you think there are another factors? As Walter said, many computer producers have agreements with Microsoftfor just selling the computers with a version of Windows preinstalled and even sometimes you don't have the option for changing to another version of Windows.

I bought I new Laptop HP some months ago in Taiwan and they just had the option for buying it with Windows Vista preinstalled, I asked for a Windows XP because I don't like Windows Vista, but they told me that they cannot sell the Laptop with another version of Windows. I asked in another stores for different brands and almost all they told me the same answer!

Actually, just the resallling stores had the option for using Linux or another version of Windows, so

HOW LONG DO YOU THINK MICROSOFT CAN USE THIS STRATEGY?

IS THIS STRATEGY ENOUGH FOR KEEPING THE NETWORK EXTERNALITY ALWAYS PRESENT?

Last edited by luis_guerrero on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
luis_guerrero
luis_guerrero

Back to top Go down

DO YOU WANT TO BUY A COMPUTER WITH LINUX? Empty Re: DO YOU WANT TO BUY A COMPUTER WITH LINUX?

Post by lawrence_lo Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Hello, notebooks do offer the 2 options of LINUX and Windows here for consumers to choose from. Obviously the notebook that comes with LINUX is cheaper than the ones that comes with Windows.
lawrence_lo
lawrence_lo

Back to top Go down

DO YOU WANT TO BUY A COMPUTER WITH LINUX? Empty Re: DO YOU WANT TO BUY A COMPUTER WITH LINUX?

Post by Felix_Humbaire Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:24 pm

I used to have a computer with Linux (Ubuntu) but I have just bought a new computer with Windows.
Linux was great : great to try a Open Source OS, encourage non-profit organization, really simple to use, well-thinked and designed, fast, no bugs...
But, because it is still not very used I had problems : I could not used my laptop internal webcam because there were no drivers for Linux, Open-Office is good but you cannot work correctly with people using Office 2007, ect.
So, I will buy an other laptop with Linux in the future, because I really think it's a really good OS, but I will do it only if the people I work or exchange with use it as well. Else compatibility is a too big problem.
The other point is that most the Linux users know some stuff about computers, and maybe they prefer to install it themselves on their computer. I am not so sure that selling computer with Linux (and only Linux, not shared with Windows, a thing you can do if you install it yourself...) can allow to reach new market segments...
Felix_Humbaire
Felix_Humbaire

Back to top Go down

Post by edith_bonnefond Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:34 pm

i have always used laptops or PCs with Microsoft Windows and never worked on Linux OS, partly because of some of my friends and relatives told me they had some compatibility problems, just as Felix.
However, these compatibility problems are not present just for Linux, i could easily remember many times when, in a team work, there were difficulties to open documents from a Mac on a Windows PC...but that is another issue!
edith_bonnefond
edith_bonnefond

Back to top Go down

Post by Anais_Grelet Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:41 pm

I would rather buy the laptop with the windows version in it even if it is more expensive. As I am not an expert on computing, I'll buy something I am familiar with, like windows, and I think most computer buyers feel like this.
Our generation is more familiar with computers, softwares and open source opportunities, but I think that people from the above generation just need computers that answer their needs and do not care of paying extra fees if it can guarantee safety, convenience and efficiency.

Anais_Grelet

Back to top Go down

Post by Anais_Grelet Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:45 pm

Another thing is also the compatibility problem with computer games when you have Linux. This is one thing that prevent me from swithching to Linux.

Anais_Grelet

Back to top Go down

Post by chloé_laluc Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:51 pm

I think I will prefer to pay more to buy a laptop which includes a version of Microsoft Windows,; just because of uncertainties concerning Linux ( compatibility, document format changes, how to use the new software etc)
chloé_laluc
chloé_laluc

Back to top Go down

Post by jeremie_francois Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:57 pm

When I arrived at university, the person in charge of the computer lab
was really into promoting Open source alternatives, so we used Linux and
Open office, I got used to it then.
Now, I could buy a laptop with OSS pre-installed on it, but that would
never have been the case when I had never used it before. I think as they
state in the case, what stops people (or companies) from switching isn't the price
that much but all the complications of getting used to something new.

jeremie_francois

Back to top Go down

Post by Brodie Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:14 pm

I have never used Linux, but having to learn it for the first time wouldn't stop me from buying a Linux based PC. The compatibility issue would make me think twice. I use a Mac, and I find it frustrating at times when sharing files, using a flash drive, etc with a PC. Ultimately though, I'd rather use almost anything than Windows, let alone having to pay extra for it.
Brodie
Brodie

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:49 pm

I don't want to buy a Linux Operated computer... I am not a computer addict, just want my computer to work ! I know how to use Windows, why would I change ? The difference in prices doesn't change anything !
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix_Humbaire Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:03 pm

I just remember that in France some public administrations, like municipal councils, and associations, switched all their computers to Linux and Open Office because it was cheaper than Windows and in a political will to support Open Office solutions, and I think they didn't encounter so much difficulties.
Once you have trained employees with their new work tools, everything was fine, and they were few compatibility problems because they hadn't so many electronic file exchange with other institutions.
Felix_Humbaire
Felix_Humbaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Maiju_Hamalainen_ Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:20 pm

At the moment I would still
buy Microsoft Windows because I know how to use it and it would feel a safer
choice even though Vista is making life hard due to all the problems that comes along with it. I believe if stores would start selling laptops with Linux, I would buy
one in couple of years when it becomes more common. I have heard only good things
about Linux but I am not an early adopter, rather part of early or late
majority.

I think laptop producers might
gain more buy offering the two alternatives and also reach lower segments.
People might be willing to pay more for the computers if the operating system
was cheaper. I believe Microsoft would lose market share but computer producers
would probably gain. If computers would be cheaper people might change to newer
ones more often as well.

Maiju_Hamalainen_

Back to top Go down

Post by Edghill_Manuel Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Felix_Humbaire wrote:I used to have a computer with Linux (Ubuntu) but I have just bought a new computer with Windows.
Linux was great : great to try a Open Source OS, encourage non-profit organization, really simple to use, well-thinked and designed, fast, no bugs...
But, because it is still not very used I had problems : I could not used my laptop internal webcam because there were no drivers for Linux, Open-Office is good but you cannot work correctly with people using Office 2007, ect.
So, I will buy an other laptop with Linux in the future, because I really think it's a really good OS, but I will do it only if the people I work or exchange with use it as well. Else compatibility is a too big problem.
The other point is that most the Linux users know some stuff about computers, and maybe they prefer to install it themselves on their computer. I am not so sure that selling computer with Linux (and only Linux, not shared with Windows, a thing you can do if you install it yourself...) can allow to reach new market segments...

I completely agree with Felix since I had exactly the same problem: compatibility. I would use it again if they (Linux programmers) can figure a way to work with Office, etc. and can work with external/internal drivers.

This question is also not well thought out since Lawrence pretty much called it out: Marketers already place both OS in many Laptops and there is a significant price differentiation between the two choices. Also, one is ridiculously good looking, and the other is not.
Edghill_Manuel
Edghill_Manuel

Back to top Go down

Post by Anders_Schmidt Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:30 pm

It seems like people fear the "Transition Costs" in terms of time, efforts, troubleshooting etc. in switching to a Linux based computer.

Time:

I bought a Linux-based notebook pc myself half a year ago, honestly it took me one day before I installed Windows on it, why? It simple took me too long to find alternative programs,
figuring out how to install and configure them. Time was the issue for me.

Costs:

To this I can add, if I didn’t have the option to install windows on it for a low cost as I did,
I would not even have tried it. My temptation to begin on the first hand was,
costs and speed. Price difference €40.

Speed:

Linux was much faster, a full loaded system started in 30 seconds, windows 2 min 45 sec,
and in generally operate much more smoothly.

It could be interesting to hear what concrete troubles people actually fear. Then let’s
hear it anyone has ideas to how it could be overcome.

/Anders
Anders_Schmidt
Anders_Schmidt

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra_Engel Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:55 pm

Generally, I am open to any new software because I like to learn how to use different programs and I think it is important to switch to and try alternatives. Regarding the Linux, I never considered, since I never came across it. However, things that are important for me before changing would be:

- price difference
- speed
- stability
- simplicity
- compatibility
- recommendations of friends

Alexandra_Engel

Back to top Go down

Post by walter_muller Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:56 pm

I think that before answering the question on wheter or not you would buy a linux computer, it is important think about wheter or not manufacutres want to sell PC's with linux. At the moment you have 3 options as i am aware of: buying a laptop with windows (most common), a mac or a laptop without any operating system (very rare). Microsoft have made some partnership agreements with the manufactures of PC, which means that they have some obligations to uphold. Moreover, as windows is by far the most demanded by the market (around 90 % market share), the manufactures of Pc's are presured by their agremment with windows and the market (end-customer) to deliver pc with windows. I dont think this situation will change in the near future. This is because there has been many problems with compatability. Therefore, i believe that the market is reluctant to switch to linux or other FS.

I agree with what the majority of the people say (above stated), that most people just want a pc that works and people know that windows works, which is why they buy it. Linux i think is more for people that know a great deal about computer and not for the average user. I would not buy a linux pc, beacuase at the majority, i dont want to experience any compatability issues. Thus, i dont believe that a pc with linux would be succesfull, even though the price is 20 % lower.

walter_muller

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris Yu Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:19 pm

I think using Linux conveys a strong statement that I am good at computers, and I am happy with a program that I can fix the source code, and I won't let microsoft make a penny from me. But somehow, in the end, most Linux users will end up with having two OS systems in order to communicate with the general public.

I used to have a Linux OS 7 years ago, half forced & half introduced by my BF at that time, and it's actually good. But it's such a pain using something that's not compatible with MS office. I had a very big trouble handing in my homework coz professor's computer couldn't read it.

I will say, if Linux office is perfectly compatible with microsoft office, I definitely will stay with Linux.

BTW, the people I know who has Linux OS usually has a computer science engineering related background, no matter it's a man or woman.

Doris Yu

Back to top Go down

Post by luis_guerrero Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:39 pm

Until now, we can summarize your opinions saying that one consumer is not willing to change to an OSS/FS, even if this is considerably cheaper, because two main factors:

1. Network externalities: the use of another network users and the compatibility for sharing files.

2. Costs of Learning: this cost includes time cost and monetary cost (such us the costs paid by the public administrations in Germany or France).

But, Do you think there are another factors? As Walter said, many computer producers have agreements with Microsoftfor just selling the computers with a version of Windows preinstalled and even sometimes you don't have the option for changing to another version of Windows.

I bought I new Laptop HP some months ago in Taiwan and they just had the option for buying it with Windows Vista preinstalled, I asked for a Windows XP because I don't like Windows Vista, but they told me that they cannot sell the Laptop with another version of Windows. I asked in another stores for different brands and almost all they told me the same answer!

Actually, just the resallling stores had the option for using Linux or another version of Windows, so

HOW LONG DO YOU THINK MICROSOFT CAN USE THIS STRATEGY?

IS THIS STRATEGY ENOUGH FOR KEEPING THE NETWORK EXTERNALITY ALWAYS PRESENT?
luis_guerrero
luis_guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent_Alliaga Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:44 pm

I'm buying computers without OS and I'm installing windows and/or Linux, depending what I want to do with it (programming, design, game, etc)

I have very good prices on microsoft products as the firm is a sponsor of my business school. So I don't care about prices Smile
Vincent_Alliaga
Vincent_Alliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by Yann_Gerardi Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:59 pm

luis_guerrero wrote:Do you think that offering this two options in the market, the computer producers could reach more consumer's segments? Why don't they do it?DO YOU WANT TO BUY A COMPUTER WITH LINUX? Icon_pirat

Maybe because all the computer producers have some joint sales & marketing agreements with the "paying" softwares developers, which leaves no space for an OSS alternative in the retail stores.
I also think that Linux is only used by "advanced" computer users, as the user has to know how to install it, how to manage the compatibility issues, etc.Therefore, this class of customer is more a duplicate than a separate segment.
Yann_Gerardi
Yann_Gerardi

Back to top Go down

Post by BartekWu Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm

This is a follow-up question, so that our discussion keeps going. Remember, you can still answer to the main question!

So, here it goes:
What would have hapened if all shops gave you a choice: they sell you computer with pre-installed OS, like Linux, or with Windows, for which you would have to pay extra? What would be your decision? Why?

What if they gave you the other option: installing both? would you consider it? why?
BartekWu
BartekWu

Back to top Go down

Post by Florent_Blanchard Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:25 pm

Windows is not pretty hard to install on a computer. As Office, everybody today can get some free version of windows with key code, etc.
BUT, just people who knows a little bit about computers would buy one without any OS on it, because it may not work as well as we should.
Personnaly, i would rather buy one with windows on it. Windows is used everywhere. Even later when we will work in a company there is like 90 percent of chance that windows is going to be the OS on the computer. So i do not think that it is a bad idea to get used to it.
It is, i think, the only OS for which i do not mind to pay a little bit

Florent_Blanchard

Back to top Go down

Post by uroi.salii Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:08 pm

It really depends on the preference of a person. With my limited knowledge about software, I am definitely buying Microsoft's software however if i knew more about softwares and the whole ordeal of codes i would buy Linux.

Here are several differences in advantage to Linux that I found:
1. Linux = Full Access/ Windows = No Access; Having access to the source code is probably the single most significant difference between Linux and Windows.

2. Linux = Peer online support / Windows = paid help desk support; ith Linux, you have the support of a huge community via forums, online search, and plenty of dedicated Web sites

3. Linux = Centralized/ Windows = Non Centralized; Linux has a centralized location where you can search for, add, or remove software. Like a package management systems, such as Synaptic. With Synaptic, you can open up one tool, search for an application or group of applications, and install that application without having to do any Web searching.
uroi.salii
uroi.salii

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi Fai_Cheng Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:07 am

I believe it depends on what you are going to do with your pc, whether Linux is a good option. If you have to interact with a lot of Windows PC, I will prefer Windows. If thats not the case, I will chose Linux, because for most things Linux works perfectly fine.
Chi Fai_Cheng
Chi Fai_Cheng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum