E-Commerce Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did you ever use an OS programs?

+17
Doris Yu
Chi Fai_Cheng
Anais_Grelet
Yann_Gerardi
TA_Max_Huang
Vincent_Alliaga
Alexandra_Engel
Naomi_Karnovsky
walter_muller
Janick_Edinger
Felix_Humbaire
Maiju_Hamalainen_
Edghill_Manuel
Schulz_Martin
jeremie_francois
florent_lefevre
BartekWu
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Did you ever use an OS programs? Empty Did you ever use an OS programs?

Post by BartekWu Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:03 pm

did you ever use OSS/FS? And this does not include only Linux or OpenOffice. Think about other examples: music programs, image editing, maybe antivirus programs? did you ever use anything you could recommend to your colleagues?

If you used OSS/FS, did you like it? was it better than the same program which you can buy in the shop? Please justify your answer Smile
BartekWu
BartekWu

Back to top Go down

Did you ever use an OS programs? Empty Re: Did you ever use an OS programs?

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:07 pm

I did use a OSS/FS for anti-virus... can't remember the name though. I took it because my computer did catch something (a worm or the like) with a "regular" anti-virus. Now, I am sharing a IP anti-virus with a friend of mine.
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by jeremie_francois Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:32 pm

I was recommended AVG's free edition as an anti-virus, and my computer seems to have survived till now (crossing my fingers). I don't know much about the different anti-viruses available, but I once had "norton" pre-installed and it was really annoying; so here the free alternative seemed actually better to me.

I also used inkskape & gimp for processing pictures as well as some free software to convert file to mp4.
Unfortunately I can't compare with PS products as I don't use them that frequently and don't feel I need to spend money to get (potentially) better products.

jeremie_francois

Back to top Go down

Post by Schulz_Martin Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:55 pm

I used to use Google Picasa instead of Adobe Photoshop. Well it kind of works and it's not bad at all. You can edit pictures in some ways and it's really easy to use.
But I think it's more like for those who just wants to edit some holiday pictures. For those who really want to edit their pictures, for example conceal wrinkles Did you ever use an OS programs? Icon_rabbit etc, they probably have to buy a good software program like Photoshop.
Schulz_Martin
Schulz_Martin

Back to top Go down

Post by Edghill_Manuel Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:13 pm

I used Napster back in 1999, does that qualify as "open source"... more like file sharing, right? In any case, I recommend it!
I, like Martin, use Picasa, since I am ridiculously good looking, like Martin, don't need to spend more money on fancy photo programs like Photoshop... Picasa is very basic and gets the job done.
Edghill_Manuel
Edghill_Manuel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maiju_Hamalainen_ Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:29 pm

I have used
Open Office but I didn’t like it because it is not fully compatible with MS
Word. The lay out would always change when I sent it to word. I am not so keen
on learning how to use new programs. I like to stick to the ones that I already
know therefore I am willing to pay for the convenience. I believe OS programs
are better for people who have more knowledge about computers, are patient and
willing to learn how to use the new programs.

Maiju_Hamalainen_

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix_Humbaire Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:46 pm

For reading videos, VLC is a great alternative to Windows Media Player. It is a free and open-source cross-platform media player who allows you to play any video or music files with all options you can wish.
One of the main advantage of this software is that it has been developed in order that you don't need codecs to play videos.
And it is lighter than Windows Media Player!
Felix_Humbaire
Felix_Humbaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Janick_Edinger Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:48 pm

Using OSS is essential when one face several problems with a computer. Some examples (of my usage):

- a SD card is damaged and you need a software to rescue the data
- a file is in an incompatible format and you have to find a software to change it
- you want create PDF by using a fictive printer
- you want to zip files because they are too large

it would be very expensive to buy a software for each of those problems. Some of them just occur once or a few times. So it's the easier way to find a OSS to fix them.

Janick_Edinger

Back to top Go down

Post by walter_muller Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:56 pm

I am a frequent user of opensource products, not because i like them, but because i am forced to. I am at the moment working for IBM as marketing assistent. Since last year, direct result of the economic crisis, all IBM employees are forced to use Lotus symphony, which is an IBM developed opensourced software product. Lotus symphony was made to compete with MS office. Lotus symphony has a writing programme (like Word), a calculating programme (like Exel), a presentation programme (like powerpoint) and notes (Like outlook). Lotus symphony is in theory 100% compatible with MS office, however when it comes to reality it is not. Lotus symphony has some difficulties converting the fonts and the line spacing. So when symphony is converted to office format or visa versa, you sometimes encounter some funny versions of your work Did you ever use an OS programs? Icon_exclaim I most however say, that it has improved a lot just within one year. IBM has launched 2 new versions within one year. So maybe in the future they will be equally good as Ms office, who knows. I can only said that IBM is putting great effort in devoloping symphony to compete with MS and reduce their market dominance. Actually IBM dont directly gain anything from this, but on the other side, they decrease MS income and therefore weekens their competitor. So indirectly IBM gains advantages by having Lotus symphony.

I have only tried to use avast.com anti virus progromme, which is for free. I can only give my warmest recommendation to this anti virus programme. I have used for 4 years and never experienced having a virus, worm or trojen horse on my laptop. Moreover it has been awarded the best anti virus programme. It is much better the most of the propretary software like norten. Downloade it and enjoy a virus free PC.

walter_muller

Back to top Go down

Post by walter_muller Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:58 pm

I am a frequent user of opensource products, not because i like them, but because i am forced to. I am at the moment working for IBM as marketing assistent. Since last year, direct result of the economic crisis, all IBM employees are forced to use Lotus symphony, which is an IBM developed opensourced software product. Lotus symphony was made to compete with MS office. Lotus symphony has a writing programme (like Word), a calculating programme (like Exel), a presentation programme (like powerpoint) and notes (Like outlook). Lotus symphony is in theory 100% compatible with MS office, however when it comes to reality it is not. Lotus symphony has some difficulties converting the fonts and the line spacing. So when symphony is converted to office format or visa versa, you sometimes encounter some funny versions of your work Did you ever use an OS programs? Icon_exclaim I most however say, that it has improved a lot just within one year. IBM has launched 2 new versions within one year. So maybe in the future they will be equally good as Ms office, who knows. I can only said that IBM is putting great effort in devoloping symphony to compete with MS and reduce their market dominance. Actually IBM dont directly gain anything from this, but on the other side, they decrease MS income and therefore weekens their competitor. So indirectly IBM gains advantages by having Lotus symphony.

I have only tried to use avast.com anti virus progromme, which is for free. I can only give my warmest recommendation to this anti virus programme. I have used for 4 years and never experienced having a virus, worm or trojen horse on my laptop. Moreover it has been awarded the best anti virus programme. It is much better the most of the propretary software like norten. Downloade it and enjoy a virus free PC.

walter_muller

Back to top Go down

Post by Naomi_Karnovsky Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:00 pm

I agree with Felix, VLC is a great alternative to Windows Media Player. It supports much more types of different video files, and for people like me who use subtitles often, it's much more convinient - while the Media Player only allows using subtitles from the same folder as the video file, with VLC you can use subtitles that are anywhere on your computer. This is especially useful when you are watching a video from a CD with subtitles that are on your computer, without the need to copy the video to the computer.
Naomi_Karnovsky
Naomi_Karnovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra_Engel Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:14 pm

I admit before this course I never used open source, since I simply was not aware of its existence. However, I think OS opens a considerable alternative to engaging in illegal behavior. As long as the OS versions delivers similar functionality for free and you do not mind the switching "cost", why spend a lot of money for a software of which you do not even use half of the functions?

Alexandra_Engel

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:12 pm

I agree with Alexandra, if the switching "cost" is not to be taken into account... you should go for OSS ! The problem now is that you are sold IP products when buying your PC so... I think OSS products should be marketed more ! In France, it is hard to find computers with OS.
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Janick_Edinger Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:25 pm

When we are talking about costs, one reason that deters me from using OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office is the fact that MS Office is present everywhere. You learn it (sometimes) in school, now here is a class called "Financial Modelling" where we learn how to use Excel and furthermore you can find books, teaching dvd's and help for excel anywhere. It is hard to find the same deep access in a not-so-well-know OSS.

Janick_Edinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent_Alliaga Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:38 pm

Janick_Edinger wrote:When we are talking about costs, one reason that deters me from using OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office is the fact that MS Office is present everywhere. You learn it (sometimes) in school, now here is a class called "Financial Modelling" where we learn how to use Excel and furthermore you can find books, teaching dvd's and help for excel anywhere. It is hard to find the same deep access in a not-so-well-know OSS.

I agree... I use OSS when it's good programs (for instance firefox) but for another specific programs as design... OSS programs don't match the quality of adobe suite.
Vincent_Alliaga
Vincent_Alliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by TA_Max_Huang Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:06 pm

BartekWu wrote: did you ever use OSS/FS? And this does not include only Linux or OpenOffice. Think about other examples: music programs, image editing, maybe antivirus programs? did you ever use anything you could recommend to your colleagues?

If you used OSS/FS, did you like it? was it better than the same program which you can buy in the shop? Please justify your answer Did you ever use an OS programs? Icon_smile

There are numerous Open Source Software. Of course I have used OSS/FS.
For example, Firefox browser, 7-zip, Clam Antivirus, and so on.
I think all of them are worth using. They are free but powerful. Did you ever use an OS programs? Icon_cheers

Some of them may be imcomplete in their functions or worse than the propreitary software in the beginning, but the problems (called "bugs") of them can always be solved very soon and the quality of the software will be better and better gradually because of their nature of Did you ever use an OS programs? Icon_study "collective wisdom".
TA_Max_Huang
TA_Max_Huang

Back to top Go down

Post by Yann_Gerardi Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:23 pm

I don't use OSS for my operating system and office functions for the usual compatibility and switching costs issues. Otherwise, I almost only use OSS for all the other functions I use: Avira antivirus & firewall, Firefox, WinRar, and plenty of other small softwares for format conversion, video subtitling, etc.
Yann_Gerardi
Yann_Gerardi

Back to top Go down

Post by Anais_Grelet Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:57 pm

I use OS software like firefox or vlc, almost on a daily basis. They are very convenient and I really think they outperform the proprietary software. For example, I do not need codec to read a film with vlc which enables me to read more films than with windows media player.
I also use thunderbird for my mails and it is sufficient for what I need to do.

Anais_Grelet

Back to top Go down

Post by BartekWu Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:26 pm

This is a follow-up question, so that our discussion keeps going. Remember, you can still answer to the main question!

So do you believe that use of OSS and original products can be divided? that for important programs with lots of functions, like Photoshop, Office, Windows, you are more eager to pay, while you will look for OSS in other areas of work? Or maybe there are some other reasons for that?

In other words: the more difficult the job, the higher probability you will get a shop product than open source one? Why?
BartekWu
BartekWu

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi Fai_Cheng Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:58 pm

I have used open source software many times. Thats also includes the operating system Linux. Because Linux is free and all basic features are included, its a good alternative for Windows I think.

Have you guys used Linux before, why? or why not?
Chi Fai_Cheng
Chi Fai_Cheng

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris Yu Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:14 am

I think softwre functionality itself is one of the most important factor. Most of the time is becasue people rely on these excellent softwares to make a living. So, people are willing to pay for a better after-purchase service. Someone has to pick up the phone and solve those technical problems encountered during usage. And the other reason could be to get the latest update, such as anti-virus code. If one doesn't pay, he won't be able to get it so quickly. He has to wait until some kind person shares it on the internet and he also has to be lucky enough to find it in time.

BartekWu wrote:This is a follow-up question, so that our discussion keeps going. Remember, you can still answer to the main question!

So do you believe that use of OSS and original products can be divided? that for important programs with lots of functions, like Photoshop, Office, Windows, you are more eager to pay, while you will look for OSS in other areas of work? Or maybe there are some other reasons for that?

In other words: the more difficult the job, the higher probability you will get a shop product than open source one? Why?

Doris Yu

Back to top Go down

Post by luis_guerrero Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:14 am

I have use many OSS/FS, like dictionaries, music downloaders, games, etc.

I usually wasn't satisfy with the software because they use to have many risks, ads or are unuseful. So finally I prefered to pay for some PS, or search another options (if I just need the sofware for a specific moment I could borrow it from friends or relatives).

I just remember I have recommended Izarc and Avast Antivirus, but both of them have premium upgrades that you should pay. Anyway, the free basic versions of the software were always enough for me.
luis_guerrero
luis_guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by Yann_Gerardi Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:21 am

BartekWu wrote:In other words: the more difficult the job, the higher probability you will get a shop product than open source one? Why?

For professional use I agree with Doris. For personal use I think it depends once again on the compatibility / convenience of the software and on the computer knowledge of the user.
Yann_Gerardi
Yann_Gerardi

Back to top Go down

Post by Gautam_Kamath Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:11 am

Since the benefits of most of the OpenSource softwares I use have already been mentioned above, I ll be short.

I use Mozilla Firefox 7 (still considering Chrome ^_^), VLC, Winamp, Avast (the best, I agree Walter), DivX, TvAnts, TVU, SopCast (online streaming), Various converters and codec softwares, OpenOffice, WinRaR, Total Commander (an excellent File Manager alternative to Windows Explorer), etc etc....the list goes on.

I also ran Ubuntu (Linux) on a partioned hardisk and through live CD boot, which I found was one of the best, most stable OS's ever. Its all about compatibility: the more niche your software's functions are, the more chance that compatibility wont affect you. Unfortunately I am still using XP, but I will get a Mac soon!

Gautam_Kamath

Back to top Go down

Post by BartekWu Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 am

I know what you mean. Well I was using Mozilla only (don't remember last time IE was my main web browser Razz )but right now I switched to chrome and, I don't know why, it seems to work better. I also have Winamp, AVG Antivirus, DivX, SopCasst, TvAnts etc. But these are only small programs and without some of them, you would not be able to have access to certain options (like watching NBA games on SopCast and TvAnts:) ) but I still use Windows and Office for ma main work on the computer.
BartekWu
BartekWu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum