E-Commerce Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question 1: Examples

+21
luis_guerrero
Gene_Simpson
Edghill_Manuel
edwige_aoudiani
tobias_off
kathia Morano
uroi.salii
julie
pierre_paitrault
Anais_Grelet
soraya_berdeil
florent_lefevre
edith_bonnefond
chloé_laluc
Felix_Humbaire
Janick_Edinger
betul_batik
BartekWu
Aurélie_Thiran
TA_Max_Huang
Alexandra_Engel
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Question 1: Examples Empty Question 1: Examples

Post by Alexandra_Engel Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Can you think of other examples (companies, services) using the "Pay what you want model"?

Alexandra_Engel

Back to top Go down

Question 1: Examples Empty Re: Question 1: Examples

Post by TA_Max_Huang Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:25 am

Just about six months ago, a Japanese food restaurant in Taiwan applied the PWYW pricing mechanism. The restaurant owner might think it a good way of propaganda. However, this pricing mechanism resulted in a 700-thousand financial loss because most of the patrons chose to pay less than the cost of the dishes.

Another example is the "Pay-As-You-Wish Parking Lot" in Taiwan. This parking lot doesn't hire any administrative employees. Drivers can decide how much they want to pay based on their conscience. The owner of this parking lot believes in the bright side of human nature. Even so, he met with some difficulties. For example, someone parked his/her car without paying and even stole all the money in the parking meter.

My inference is that most of Taiwanese enjoy the feeling of obtaining a small advantage, that is, the "price consciousness" of Taiwanese is very strong. Since ancestors of many Taiwanese experienced hardship in the early days, they educated their offspring to be economical. For this reason, Taiwanese tend to save as much money as possible when purchasing. In addition, the greed for money may prevail over the so-called social norms in Taiwan, especailly in a bad economic situation nowadays.

I think anyone who wants to apply this pricing mechanism must take the avarice of human nature, the property of the product or service and national conditions into account. Or he or she might have a very high possibility of encountering financial losses.
TA_Max_Huang
TA_Max_Huang

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurélie_Thiran Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:04 pm

The Ibis Hotel of Singapour used PWYW as a marketing strategy in the beginning, but only the very first bookers could pay what they wanted, and for one night only.

Aurélie_Thiran

Back to top Go down

Post by BartekWu Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:05 pm

I think it was Radiohead or some other band that started their action of Pay What You Want for Music. you can buy their CD's or single tracks on the website, download the for free, but you are asked to make any kind of contribution for the musicians. seems fair and works for them, but so far there aren't too many musicians who want to join them...

In US there was a sale of a game The World of Goo based on this idea. It proves that if we can buy something for free (almost for free) we are more eager to take advantage of that... most people paid 1 cent, but an average price was 2.03$. Earlier you could have bought the game for 20$. you get the pattern here.

I can think of more examples of products with "Pay as You Want, but make it at least..." strategy:)
BartekWu
BartekWu

Back to top Go down

Post by betul_batik Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Magazines opted for a PWYW pricing model. Paste, for instance, a US music and entertainment magazine gave a 2 week period to people to sign up for a new subscription (or a renewal) during which they could choose the price they wanted to pay for a 1year subscription. The aim was to know how much a customer would have paid to read the magazine. They also wanted to attract new readers who would have maybe became loyal customers.

betul_batik

Back to top Go down

Post by Janick_Edinger Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:39 pm

There is an interesting example within my circle of friends. Some of them are singers (classic, opera) and they sometimes have projects with a concert in the end of the rehearsals. Most of the time there is no entrance fee, but they ask for a donation at the exit. The amount people are willing to pay, when they are not forced to pay a certain amount. Especially when they were pleased by the concert. So I think there are three steps hidden behind this method:

1) Attract more people, because there is no entrance fee.
2) Raising their willingness to pay, by giving the feeling that they have saved money.
3) Asking for donations/payment when guests are in a good humor.

And now you may ask, why they became singers and no economic students...

Janick_Edinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix_Humbaire Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:40 pm

As Bartek said, music is a really good example.

Radiohead use this model for their last album, but the case will be discussed in class on Wednesday... Smile

New bands use it as well to get known. For example, on the website http://paywhatyouwantonline.com/ you can download music paying for a song the price you want to. Customers can be happy to discover new styles and participate in the launch of a band. They can think : "If they become rich and famous, it will be a bit because of me..."
Felix_Humbaire
Felix_Humbaire

Back to top Go down

Post by chloé_laluc Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:03 pm

There are some "Pay What U Want" parties organized in Paris, which use the PWUW model. Customers determine the price of the entrance, drinks, food according to their budget and to to the quality of the services provided by the staff in the club.
It really works, and it's always crowed afro
chloé_laluc
chloé_laluc

Back to top Go down

Post by edith_bonnefond Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:25 pm

In London, there is a fancy restaurant which chose to use the PWYW pricing mechanism once a week after the financial crisis. They called it "pay what you think it's worth". Customers just had to pay for drinks, and could have tap water for free Question 1: Examples Icon_razz
It attracted many many people, and even if some people just gave one cent, overall, the restaurant earned 20% more than it would have earned with its original prices Question 1: Examples Icon_cheers
edith_bonnefond
edith_bonnefond

Back to top Go down

Post by chloé_laluc Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:04 pm

edith_bonnefond wrote:In London, there is a fancy restaurant which chose to use the PWYW pricing mechanism once a week after the financial crisis. They called it "pay what you think it's worth". Customers just had to pay for drinks, and could have tap water for free Question 1: Examples Icon_razz
It attracted many many people, and even if some people just gave one cent, overall, the restaurant earned 20% more than it would have earned with its original prices Question 1: Examples Icon_cheers

In Paris there are some restaurants that use the same concept. You pay just for the drinks and you can get the COUSCOUS for free.afro It really works and this strategy has attracted a lot of new customers.
chloé_laluc
chloé_laluc

Back to top Go down

Question 1: Examples Empty A good way to sell...

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:28 pm

When I was in high school (once upon a time), I was studying modern arts and we used to sell our paintings on the street. Then again, can we say "sell" when it is the buyer who decide ? Indeed, my classmates and I were showing our paintings to everyone and some of them asked us how much for this or that drawing. But we ran our small business as a pay as you want one and they gave us what they wanted. And we earned quite a loot by the end of the year !
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by soraya_berdeil Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:32 pm

We can see that this concept is applied in many sectors such as hotel business,catering, advertising.. In France an innovative brand "Madame Vacances" (tourist homes) has chosen to offer its customers "Pay What You Want" concept. The residence is located in the Hautes Pyrenees. At the end of the stay in this home, customers will pay for their own assessment and any additional services they have reserved (linens, cleaning ...) and local tax.
soraya_berdeil
soraya_berdeil

Back to top Go down

Post by Anais_Grelet Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Yes I've heard of Madame Vacances in the Pyrenees. The first people to register for a definite week could pay what they want at the end of their stay. For their first campaign, they said that people around 100 euros for a house originally rent at 300, but it made good campaign for the brand.

Anais_Grelet

Back to top Go down

Post by pierre_paitrault Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:08 pm

A lot of restaurant around the world tried the 'Pay what you want' model. In US a coffe shop experienced that in early 2007. As Bartek said, even the video game producer use this model, championship manager 2010, a popular football management game announced a similar price model.

pierre_paitrault

Back to top Go down

Post by julie Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:19 pm

You gave many present examples. Could you focus as well on some industries/companies/products which should use the PWYW according to you?

julie

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:57 pm

PWYW can be used for start-ups. Unknown to its potential customers but which can't afford to give away free samples. However, the products must be consumable goods. Something that has a short expiry date if I can put it like that. Libraries can't apply PWYW methods (unless it wants to clear its inventory). For example, some libraries do that for second-hand books so as to clear the shelves.
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by uroi.salii Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:24 pm

I think Bartek's example Radiohead is a good one to start off with. The music industry should try to use the PWYW method to attract a larger fan base. Even though they maybe giving music out for free, there are other things that are not free such as the products with the band or singers image and concert tickets cost. This can be used as a advertising tool allowing the bands and artists to be more exposed.

Here is an part from the article "Radiohead ‘Pay What You Want’ Strategy an Unconventional Success" Analysts at MCPS PRS have crunched the numbers and beg to differ. Sure, the album was ‘illegally’ shared more than 2.3 million times within the first 3 weeks of it’s release. And that’s a lot of email addresses and potential revenue the band lost. But the firm claims Radiohead’s strategy was a success nonetheless; winning the public’s attention to top the charts in both the UK and US and enable a hugely successful worldwide tour.

Yes it will take away from potential revenues that the music industry can make but yet allows a larger fan base and creating a huge marketing for the bands and artists.

What do you guys think? Will this be profitable for the music industry or will they be scrapping for loose change? (just a thought)
uroi.salii
uroi.salii

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:34 pm

Yes, music industry has definitely something to get from this method.
The PWYW method is the last barrier to hacking. If it doesn't foot here, even the unexperienced guy will have to turn bad to get what he wants.
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by kathia Morano Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE>
Another pay what you want example:
As an antidote to rigid financial conditions, an English got his cab driver’s license and insurance and officially opened for business with the Recession Ride Taxi. He will take passengers anywhere they want to go for whatever they want to pay.
There are no set prices for transportation, and he also offers a cooler full of pay-what-you-want beverages to thirsty guests. He even offers special perks to frequent riders: he provides his passengers with hole punch cards, giving them a free ride after every six trips.
Of course, his customers could easily get a free ride anyway; after all, he’s not forcing them to open their wallets. Since his payment policy is so flexible, he’s taken some strange trades: one customer gave him a $10 grocery card, and a local musician gave him his group’s CD. He believed that people are going to be generous enough to make it worth.</BLOCKQUOTE>
I wouldn’t even be surprised if his PWYW scheme generates so much goodwill that he makes more money than if he had a fixed price. When you match PWYW with a face-to-face, conscience-inducing contact, I'm pretty shure that it’s not very risky.
kathia Morano
kathia Morano

Back to top Go down

Post by tobias_off Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Lately there has been a lot of "Donationware" around. It's software that you can download and use for free, but from time to time you will be asked to donate some money to the creator. It is a slightly different mode than the examples mentioned above. But the concept behind it is the same. The customer decides if and how much to pay for a product.

A (donation-)software which I use quite frequently is "Cyberduck", a SFTP client for Mac. So far I have not donated any money. But I plan to do so. I have used this program for a long time, it's stable and gets constantly updated. So now that I know the quality is alright, I don't mind donating some money to the creator to make sure he keeps developing this great program.
tobias_off
tobias_off

Back to top Go down

Post by edwige_aoudiani Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Thank you for all these examples: we can see there are lots of businesses that have already implemented this 'Pay What You Want' model. But as it is well-known, the risk remains that some customers could not pay enough or not even pay at all for your goods/services. Can you give some concrete examples of how you can make them want to pay (convince them in an indirect way)?

edwige_aoudiani

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:03 pm

The way I can think of is a customized way. For example, that it is eco-friendly or that it is traditional. If you can touch the emotions of someone or get to something he defends, he will be okay to pay more. That's what I used in my pitch when I was doing fundraising. But... even if you customize it, it is not 100% sure to get more money.
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by julie Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:13 pm

I agree with you Florent. Same policy for humanitarian organizations...2 lessons from this example : you can pull the emotional lever but you can also personnalize as much as possible your product/service so that the customer thinks it is directly adresses to him

julie

Back to top Go down

Post by Edghill_Manuel Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:19 pm

Street performers use PWYW pricing model... also many artists (like Florent) use this model.

A way that they encourage more payment is by either customise the product/sercive to an individual/group or to target a certain common cause that this group of costumers feel strongly about, for example a fund raiser for hunger victims, etc.

***damn you Florent for typing the same thing right before me!***

Street performers usually get more money from people by directly asking/begging/yelling you to pay more, maybe this can be put to practice in the service industry too..."PAY MORE FOR YOUR HAIR CUT...OR I'LL CUT IT ALL OFF!" Haha. I'd pay more.
Edghill_Manuel
Edghill_Manuel

Back to top Go down

Post by kathia Morano Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:56 pm

To answer your questions Edwige, I think we should convince customers to pay thanks to customer's brand loyalty like any other firm does. To illustrate that process, the company can, for example, create an online membership (Facebook membership) : only customers who paid receive on their e-mails boxes the new "pay what you want" products with limited editions that the firm just launched. Customers who paid will be the first ones who will know about new products. Make people addict to the brand thanks to the pay what you want model and provide them afterwards an added perceived value in comparison with other brands.
kathia Morano
kathia Morano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next