E-Commerce Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question 3: representativeness of studies

+22
Vincent_Alliaga
luis_guerrero
uroi.salii
kathia Morano
Brodie
Edghill_Manuel
Naomi_Karnovsky
julie
pierre_paitrault
florent_lefevre
shirleyo
edith_bonnefond
Stefania_Kim_Gardini
chloé_laluc
Schulz_Martin
Felix_Humbaire
jeremie_francois
Aurélie_Thiran
betul_batik
BartekWu
TA_Max_Huang
Alexandra_Engel
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Question 3: representativeness of studies Empty Question 3: representativeness of studies

Post by Alexandra_Engel Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:28 pm

The authors conducted their study in Germany, showing relatively fair consumer behaviors. How would the result differ from their study in your home country?

Alexandra_Engel

Back to top Go down

Question 3: representativeness of studies Empty Re: Question 3: representativeness of studies

Post by TA_Max_Huang Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:38 am

I conjecture that this pricing method will not work in Taiwanese society for some reasons stated below. Consequently, the result of this research in Taiwan may be very different from that conducted in Germany.

Because the consumers in Taiwan are always shrewd and calculating. They seldom pay more pennies than the value of this product or service they perceive (internal price).

Furthermore, thanks to the development of computers and the Internet, more and more consumers tend to compare prices before making buying decisions. That is to say, the costs of products or services are no longer opaque to customers. Hence, the chance that the amount consumers pay will close to or even equal to the cost are bigger and thus increase the risk of financial losses.
TA_Max_Huang
TA_Max_Huang

Back to top Go down

Question 3: representativeness of studies Empty Re: Question 3: representativeness of studies

Post by BartekWu Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:08 pm

In Poland or Eastern Europe this idea would not work:P People are still thinking that if you can get something for free, than why really pay for it? The attitude is different and way of thinking. There is little appreciation to other peoples hard work...

But to be honest, I believe that in most countries this would be the attitude. It is the upper class that would think first before paying the minimal amount. Or some saints. Or crazy people:)
BartekWu
BartekWu

Back to top Go down

Post by betul_batik Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:09 pm

I couldn’t give a complete and totally correct answer to that question unless I conducted a survey among Belgian consumers’ behaviors and preferences in this particular field but for example, there is a restaurant near Brussels which has applied this strategy and which claims that it is very profitable so I think that most of their customers, at least, behave fairly.

betul_batik

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurélie_Thiran Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:12 pm

As Max just said, the results of the study can be very different from a country to another. I think that it is also the case between European countries. In my opinion it's not possible to answer correctly to this question, unless we base our answer on statistical data related to behavior in a country.

Aurélie_Thiran

Back to top Go down

Post by jeremie_francois Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:54 pm

I think the study is representative for Germany and most European
countries... but only for those particular industries: restaurants,
cinemas: services or products that you have to pay for in the seller's
presence.
I doubt we would have the same picture for products paid online (like Microsoft Office as we discussed in a previous forum).

jeremie_francois

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix_Humbaire Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:55 pm

I think that the results of the study would be really linked to both the GDP/inhabitant of the country... And it will be different if we talk about online or offline PWYW...
But as other people said it is difficult to express something different from a mere opinion without more data.
Felix_Humbaire
Felix_Humbaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Schulz_Martin Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:57 pm

To Max:

I see your point of view,
but don't you think Taiwenese have a sense of fairness too? I mean, would you really go into a restaurant and pay NOTHING? How would you feel?
For me as a European, I couldn't do it. I would at least pay something for the service and I would calculate the amount of money spent for buying the ingredients
(remember, the reference prices you know from the supermarket are different. Usually the restaurant can buy them much cheaper)
Schulz_Martin
Schulz_Martin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurélie_Thiran Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Instinctively I would say that too but I still think we have to be very carefull, people can be very different from country to country. The same outcome might be explained with other explanatory variables.

Aurélie_Thiran

Back to top Go down

Post by chloé_laluc Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:30 pm

The results of the study can be very different from a country to another. Maybe from a region to another in the same country. I think it's really hard to give a correct answer to this question, some surveys will have to be conducted in other countries in order to get accurate results
chloé_laluc
chloé_laluc

Back to top Go down

Post by Stefania_Kim_Gardini Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:37 pm

As for the Dutch the main decisive factor would be if others are able to see or not. If they would be able to stay anonymous the price would be near to zero. In case of the restaurant example they would be willing to pay slightly above the amount of the production costs, but with a small margin.

Stefania_Kim_Gardini

Back to top Go down

Post by Stefania_Kim_Gardini Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:41 pm

The behavior of Italian is harder to estimate or detect a general tendency, since there are many differences between the regions. But if it's service related like in the restaurant example and they have a good time and wine they are very likely to pay a good price.

Stefania_Kim_Gardini

Back to top Go down

Post by edith_bonnefond Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:47 pm

I agree with Chloé, even among different regions, the results can be significantly different.
I would not be able to say :"In France, people would definitly pay more than the original price" or "In France, people wouldn't pay anything at all"
It is a matter of behavior, context, economical conditions and many other variables.
However, i do believe that the relationship between the seller and the buyer influences how much the buyer is willing to pay...
This again brings us back to the online illegal downloading...
edith_bonnefond
edith_bonnefond

Back to top Go down

Post by shirleyo Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Felix_Humbaire wrote:I think that the results of the study would be really linked to both the GDP/inhabitant of the country... And it will be different if we talk about online or offline PWYW...
But as other people said it is difficult to express something different from a mere opinion without more data.

I agree with Felix. I think it links closer to GDP rather than cultural factors, so it relates to income more.
shirleyo
shirleyo

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:21 pm

Rich men (and women) are not necessairly fairer ! The more money you have, the more money you want to have. Look at Scrooge for example, he wants to save on everything (so as to be the richest man in the cemetery?) I think the discrimination is psychograhic. If you carry this survey in places where everyone's rich, I think the results will be bad consumer behavior.
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by pierre_paitrault Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:16 pm

As it is relevant for Germany, I think this study will be representative for France, too.

pierre_paitrault

Back to top Go down

Post by julie Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:08 pm

Why do you think this study will be representative for France too Pierre? Could you give us some examples which can be especially relevant for French people?

julie

Back to top Go down

Post by Naomi_Karnovsky Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Although there are always rich people who are cheap, I think in general you could say that in countries/regions with relatively high GDP per capita and with high living standards PWYW would have the same positive results.

I also think it really depends on the industry/type of product. I remember a friend of mine (Israeli that lives in Berlin) told me about this winery in Berlin that people can pay as much as they want, and I asked him - then why would you pay at all?! He said that he likes to go to that place often, sit with his friends, etc., so if he wants to come back a second time it would be relly rude to leave without paying. So the conclusion is that for places like this, that provide a good experience for customers and where there's an interaction with the sellers, customers will be willing to pay to show their appreciation and willingness to come back. - Not only in Germany, if it's a good and fun place with nice owners I think it would also work in Tel Aviv for example- even if only for the novelty of the idea and the word-of-mouth of "this new cool thing in town"...
Naomi_Karnovsky
Naomi_Karnovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by julie Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:31 pm

Could we compare the PWYW system to the tip system? Behaviors differ depending on which country customers are from. In France customers don't have to give tips to the waiter/waitress. The result is that nobody does even though French people are not in France. However when strangers come to France they give some tips because they are used to in their country, like in the United States. So I think that each country has its own cultural relation with money and the sucess or not from PWYW depends on theses cultures and values. We therefore need to study deeply each country to evaluate the profitability of PWYW.

julie

Back to top Go down

Post by Edghill_Manuel Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:53 pm

Well, in the US we see that it works....

...but in Venezuela, I'm not so sure. The consumers there have a very similar attitude to what Max said about people here in Tawain... but still, they would pay resonably if there is face-to-face interaction, but if its through other methods, they'll go for the lowest possible payment.
Edghill_Manuel
Edghill_Manuel

Back to top Go down

Post by Brodie Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:44 am

Generally speaking PWYW would be reasonably high in Canada. For example, in a restaurant, people are accustomed to paying a 15% tip for service. In this case, it seems people would be willing to pay quite a bit.

In the Radiohead example, I think PWYW would be successful. Mainly because the band is ridiculously popular and well established. Out of loyalty to the band, they would be likely to pay for the album. For new music though, I'm not so sure. Like the rest of the world, I think people have become accustomed to downloading free music so without the loyalty factor, PWYW might have limited success.
Brodie
Brodie

Back to top Go down

Post by kathia Morano Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:23 am

I think that fair consumers behaviours depend on the different nationalities for shure but also depend on different educations that people have received in their childrenhood too. For Belgium people, I will say it depends on the personnality and the guiltiness of using a product/ a service for free as for every country.
kathia Morano
kathia Morano

Back to top Go down

Post by uroi.salii Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:50 am

In a small country such as palau, i believe the majority for consumers would base it on their satisfaction. People from my country rely on the importation of products which are priced relatively high however it does not stop the consumers from purchasing these products. For example, electronic products are highly in demand. There are the low end electronic products and the high end electronic products, i would say that most consumers would go for a more reliable and satisfactory product (this is excluding the high school students who i believe are not educated consumers but just looking for a cheap product to satisfy their wants).
uroi.salii
uroi.salii

Back to top Go down

Post by luis_guerrero Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:51 am

Like the in question 2, I think here is very important the determinants for a successful implementation of PWYW. I assume again the most important determinants are Fairness and Income.
In a country with a customer's low purchising power (developing country), I think the PWYW would be totally unsuccessful, because in those markets there are always many customers who wants a product for a very low price (even if the product has a high value). Maybe some of the customers would take advantage of the situation and will resort to the arbitration, buying cheap and reselling the same product in another place.
luis_guerrero
luis_guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by BartekWu Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:48 am

florent_lefevre wrote:Rich men (and women) are not necessairly fairer ! The more money you have, the more money you want to have. Look at Scrooge for example, he wants to save on everything (so as to be the richest man in the cemetery?) I think the discrimination is psychograhic. If you carry this survey in places where everyone's rich, I think the results will be bad consumer behavior.

I just wanted to say that I love this example cheers

And I agree with Florent, it is not important how much money you have... Maybe how happy in your life you are? sunny
BartekWu
BartekWu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next