E-Commerce Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions : YOUR PURCHASING EXPERIENCE

+18
Florent_Blanchard
Felix_Humbaire
tobias_off
jeremie_francois
Brodie
Alexandra_Engel
betul_batik
kathia Morano
Natalie_Garcia
Janick_Edinger
Aurélie_Thiran
soraya_berdeil
Chi Fai_Cheng
Yann_Gerardi
florent_lefevre
edith_bonnefond
Vincent_Alliaga
chloé_laluc
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Questions : YOUR PURCHASING EXPERIENCE - Page 2 Empty Re: Questions : YOUR PURCHASING EXPERIENCE

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Well Etrip also guides you in your search, you are not alone anymore ! When on Opodo, you are on your own... It can be quite frightening !
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Questions : YOUR PURCHASING EXPERIENCE - Page 2 Empty Re: Questions : YOUR PURCHASING EXPERIENCE

Post by Natalie_Garcia Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:35 pm

chloé_laluc wrote:Did you guys had bad experiences with online reservation?

I prefer to book online. I usually go directly to the company's
website, but if the price doesn't seem reasonable, I check it against
kayak or orbitz. In Europe, I tend to take EasyJet (obviously for price
reasons).

And yes I've had some really bad online purchasing stories. Once I was
trying to book two tickets to the same city (but from different origin
cities). Both were listed for around $200. I booked one, then by the
time I went to book the second one 10 minutes later, the price had increased to $450. I
called the airline, but the said there was nothing they could do for
me. And they wouldn't return my first booked flight. So angering!

Natalie_Garcia

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Well Etrip also guides you in your search, you are not alone anymore ! When on Opodo, you are on your own... It can be quite frightening !
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by kathia Morano Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:37 pm

As far as I am concerned, I didn't know that e-trip was one of the websites that I should use before booking a ticket even I'm from Belgium. I usually use Opodo.fr which is a french website for my flights to compare the prices.
kathia Morano
kathia Morano

Back to top Go down

Questions : YOUR PURCHASING EXPERIENCE - Page 2 Empty It happens !

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Natalie_Garcia wrote:
chloé_laluc wrote:Did you guys had bad experiences with online reservation?

I prefer to book online. I usually go directly to the company's
website, but if the price doesn't seem reasonable, I check it against
kayak or orbitz. In Europe, I tend to take EasyJet (obviously for price
reasons).

And yes I've had some really bad online purchasing stories. Once I was
trying to book two tickets to the same city (but from different origin
cities). Both were listed for around $200. I booked one, then by the
time I went to book the second one 10 minutes later, the price had increased to $450. I
called the airline, but the said there was nothing they could do for
me. And they wouldn't return my first booked flight. So angering!

I experienced that on Ryanair, it is like lottery ! Depending on the day, the time of the day... it can vary from 9 EUR to 95 EUR in a jiffy !
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by edith_bonnefond Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Yann_Gerardi wrote:Etrip concretely does only offer low cost flights search, that's their only distinction in my view. I don't see how this will attract people like Aurélie who are afraid of using online services.

Maybe the customized services and the fact that Aurélie could contact and have an answer from someone from the site would reassure her. As i already said, i think this is a very good point for Etrip. You have the advantages to book your flight online but have the certitude to have someone to talk too in case of any problem, just like in a travel agency
edith_bonnefond
edith_bonnefond

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurélie_Thiran Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:50 pm

That's precisely what I've said Wink

What is your main problem ? Too many websites ? Or they're not well-designed ? Basically, where is your problem ? Finding a website or finding info ? Or both maybe ? It think it's very interesting to have your point of view on this question.[/quote]

The problem is that there are too many pieces of information available. I have the impression that every company offers something different, it is so complicated to find what you want. It should be simple right? You chooses two destinations, departure dates and that should be it. But when you do that you have soo many choices, all at different prices, sometimes you even have links to other websites...But as i said i'm not used to book online so i don't really have a lot of experience with all those complicated websites

Another reason (linked to the first one) is that i don't trust the online booking system. If there is any problem i think it's easier to call your travel agency and let them solve the problem

Aurélie_Thiran

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurélie_Thiran Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:53 pm

I like the idea of Etrip, it seems easy, they do all the research for you and you're pretty sure you have the cheapiest flight...

Aurélie_Thiran

Back to top Go down

Post by betul_batik Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Yep, like in a "real" travel agency but you just stay behind your screen and that's the greatest point, less time-consuming.

betul_batik

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent_Alliaga Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:15 pm

betul_batik wrote:Yep, like in a "real" travel agency but you just stay behind your screen and that's the greatest point, less time-consuming.
actually, you can order by phone your trip with a travel agency : less human contact, but still efficient
Vincent_Alliaga
Vincent_Alliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra_Engel Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:16 pm

Hey everyone,

just to add on the list of experiences, I usually book via momondo.com,which according to their own words is
"cutting edge web 2.0 travelsite with the best flight search engine on the world wide web". I also do it, since ther is just too much choice out there and all I really want is a cheap flight.
So
far, compared to the etrip model it seems very similar, since they
search both, airline companies' own websites plus online travel
agencies. Also, they add several services like booking hotel, car etc.
You can also check for lower prices by changing the dates around your
preferred date. Further, I never had any problems on this website,
secure payment and easy booking.
I really like this website, it so
far has always offered me the lowest prices ( I als usually compare
with other engines) flying between Denmark to Luxembourg and from
London to Taipei.

Does anyone know momondo? It seems like
a direct competitor to etrip, even though it is not mentioned in the
case. I think it is important, since that means they are not really
aware that a similar concept already exists. Questions : YOUR PURCHASING EXPERIENCE - Page 2 Confused

Alexandra_Engel

Back to top Go down

Post by Janick_Edinger Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:31 pm

#####SUMMARY########
To keep this thread readable here is a short summary for those who joined late. Please feel free to complete the summary, if something is missing in your eyes.

Edith began and asked:
how do you guys book your flight? what are you expecting of a flight search engine? cheap prices or specific services?

Florent
For Europe flights, Ryanair is the best company ever ! Cheap tickets, very often on time... A great deal for students.

After that Yann criticized:
Concerning the booking stress, the only factor is about payment security.

Florent
I totally agree with you ! I prefer to pay great amount of money when I know the company I am booking with is trustful ! Oftentimes you can read in the news unhappy customers trying to get back their money...

Chi Fai raised thequestion about the different types of searching:
Well, I like the human-based research because the person can give you some advice based on his expertise and also I like that this kind of reseach feels more personal. On the other hand if the system is set up well, the computer-based research is maybe less vulnerable to human error

Edith
I totally agree with you, the human-based research is, in my opinion, a great asset for Etrip. This way the customer can directly contact someone of the website in case of any problems and have a quick response ( Etrip answers to its customers' mail within 2 to 6 hours). It is also a good way to make the customer feel less stressful...as he is guided during his research

Aurélie about her searching experience:
I am not used to look for a flight online. To be honest I am completely lost when I have to do it, there are too many different companies, websites, a whole range of prices... I don't trust myself so I prefer to go to a travel agency. Moreover they offer plenty services; for example if I want to change a departure date I just have to make a call and they will arange everything for me, I don't know how it works when you book online but it seems more complicated, isn't it?

And the answer of Vincent:
You're lazy!
More seriously it raises a very interesting problem : there is a galaxy of travel websites. And what you've just said justify iniatives as Etrip.

Florent:
Exactly, when you have a scattered pool of competitors, you have great opportunity to offer a novel concept and to build strong services that will get you big market shares

Yann:
Etrip concretely does only offer low cost flights search, that's their only distinction in my view. I don't see how this will attract people like Aurélie who are afraid of using online services.

Aurélie:
That's precisely what I've said.
The problem is that there are too many pieces of information available....But as i said i'm not used to book online so I don't really have a lot of experience with all those complicated websites.
Another reason (linked to the first one) is that i don't trust the online booking system. If there is any problem i think it's easier to call your travel agency and let them solve the problem.

Finally Alexandra mentioned a competitor to ETRIP: "momondo"
Does anyone know momondo? It seems like
a direct competitor to etrip, even though it is not mentioned in the
case. I think it is important, since that means they are not really
aware that a similar concept already exists.

(some comments have been shortened, but not changed in their propositions)
####END OF SUMMARY#####

Janick_Edinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Brodie Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:02 pm

➢ Would you go on this website?

I would log on to this website to give it a try the next time I book a flight in Europe. A the very least, I would use the free search service to compare against other options. If it turned out to be cheaper, I would use the paid service.

How do you usually book your flight tickets? Is it stressful for you?

The last time I booked a flight was through a Taiwan based Travel agency. I tried searching online first and found the prices to be far too high for the flight I wanted (Taipei to Ottawa). The online experience was unfruitful, and a little frustrating. In the end, I got the best price through a travel agent that I was in contact via email.

➢ Would you rely more on a human-based research or on a computer-based one?
For a longer flight that tends to be more expensive, I would tend to rely on a human based search, ie: a brick and mortar travel agent. The advantages for me are that I can give my travel criteria to several different agents, and they return to me with some competitive offers, without having to spend hours online. I can quickly compare the prices from the agent to some prices online to gauge if I’m getting a good deal or not.

The disadvantage is that you can not be 100% confident, even through a travel agent, that they are doing an exhaustive search. This is evidenced by the fact that different agents will often come up with different prices.

For shorter flights I would search online, because the total cost of the flight may not be that high, and I’m not as concerned about getting the absolute lowest price. I realize that if I search online, I can generally get a good enough price in a reasonable time. For example, if I’m booking a flight from London to Madrid, I need only search the UK based carriers, and the Spanish carriers to get a competitive price.

Relating this preference to the case, where Etrip is interested in the Europe market, where flights are generally short in distance and there are several low cost carriers. It may seem that there may be very little room to add value by a human based search. Even though consumers complain about the confusion of booking a flight through a low cost carrier, they still may prefer to do it themselves rather than pay for the search service.
Brodie
Brodie

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:35 pm

It is clear now that for long-haul flights, we are looking for tailored ones. We want our criteria to be taken into account. However, E-trip is not positioned on this segment. It is only targeting Europe, so mostly short-haul flights (even if Europe is quite large...)
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent_Alliaga Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:25 pm

florent_lefevre wrote:It is clear now that for long-haul flights, we are looking for tailored ones. We want our criteria to be taken into account. However, E-trip is not positioned on this segment. It is only targeting Europe, so mostly short-haul flights (even if Europe is quite large...)

Europe is very small when you are taking plane. The proof is by watching what Ryanair has done with low services flights.
Vincent_Alliaga
Vincent_Alliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by jeremie_francois Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Just to add an aspect:the concept of the website can really catch on with people who need the human-based search but don't feel like going round travel agencies.
However I feel I wouldn't use this website due to the time needed for the reply (2 to 6 hours):
-when booking online, I like to test various combinations (for instance leaving from Brussels rather than Paris and taking a train ride), so not having the result immediately would definitely be a hindrance.

-also, when booking at the last minute, having control of the booking process would speed things up, so the website may not cater well to business people

jeremie_francois

Back to top Go down

Post by tobias_off Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:54 pm

Actually there is already a myriad of websites that compare low-cost
flights within Europe. In Germany the competition is fierce (don't know
that much about other European countries though).

The online buying experience has always been alright for me. I lived in
Stuttgart and its local airport features mostly low-cost flights.
Flights are advertised all around the city, so I would go directly to
the websites of the airlines and book my ticket there. Last time I went
to Paris for 30 Euro. Great Deal.

I love booking online. But my main point is: If your city's airport is
not too big, there is no need for price comparison websites. Check the
websites of the airlines that have direct flights from and to your
city. Everything else does not make much sense for me. The danger that
price comparison websites do not feature the latest price updates is
too high. And as we have learned above: 10 minutes do make a
difference.

imho: Price comparison websites make more sense for long-haul flights,
where the potential for saving money is higher and your willingness to
leave from another airport than your home airport is higher.

Especially within Europe, with its highly developed and interconnected
high speed train systems, I would rather just take the train than
leaving from any other airport than my hometown's, although the train
is probably more expensive.

Example: Stuttgart to Paris (600km):
- Direct train from Stuttgart to Paris (ICE or TGV): 3,5 hours
- Flight From Stuttgart to Paris: 1:15h, but going from city centre to
city centre with airport transfer, check-in, etc. also takes about 3,5
hours and is way more troublesome.
tobias_off
tobias_off

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix_Humbaire Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:26 pm

➢ Would you go on this website? How do you usually book your flight tickets? Is it stressful for you?

I had to take a lot of planes this summer and I bought all my tickets online, using different search engine and price comparison websites.
However, for what I have seen of the website of Etrip I am not very confident in it. The design is poor and does not look very professional.
I think that this kind of website has to look really clean, really pro in order to be trusted by users.

Most of times I use liligo.com or edreams.com, and ctrip.com for China. Actually, I think it is good to compare price comparators.
Sometimes, it is useful to check companies websites when you have selected a ticket in a comparator to check the price difference.

In Asia, there is a fierce competition among airline companies, you have no choice but use websites as asiatravel.com, or you will miss the best offers.

The stressful part, from my point of view, is the e-ticket thing : the only proof and reminder you have from your purchase is an e-mail you have to print yourself...
It can be unsettling for a lot of people.

➢ Would you rely more on a human-based research or on a computer-based one? Why?

I have
never been to a "human" travel agency, but I think I rely more on Internet for my plane tickets.
Maybe you'll feel more secure to buy your tickets to a human, but I am not sure travel agency offers as much choices as websites, and actually, I prefer do it myself, Internet offering me a lot of possibilities.
Felix_Humbaire
Felix_Humbaire

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:43 pm

The electronic ticket is not such a new concept but it is unsettling for sure. However, if you lose it, you can always reprint it ! That's the good part of it !
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix_Humbaire Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:54 pm

Yes sure, but you don't have this material proof of your purchase, a material proof which is often comforting.
By the way, it will be interesting to know the average age of people using this kind of website. I am not sure old people are to fond of them... But maybe is it the subject of another tread ?
Felix_Humbaire
Felix_Humbaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Florent_Blanchard Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:24 pm

As a lot of students, i spend a lot of time on internet looking for the lower price for flight tickets. I do not use only one website but go on a few like liligo, ebooker, easyjet, etc.
They do not always offer the same price, and it is also very convenient to ckeck all of them.
And after that, i always google cheap tickets and my destination.
I do not know if a lot of travelers using online reservation are really faithful to only one website, but it is possible just if the website is really perfect (convenient) and if the brand begins to be known...
It is yet not the case at all for Etrip...

Florent_Blanchard

Back to top Go down

Post by kathia Morano Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:29 pm

I think that Janick has right.
I choose the cheapest flight to go to Taipei but I had 2 stops (London and Hong-kong) with only 1 hour before my planes. I had to run twice to get my flight.
E trip can, for sure, propose some cheapest flight but there are many cons that we can discover after taking the flight.
Moreover, I think e trip is not able to manage all the possibilities because in Asia, some partnerships are already made between travel companies and they are not interested in making new partnerships I mean they can take advantage from the European Customers that e trip reach but on the other side, they can also lost their monopoly in Asia because tehy have the cheapest prices. E trip can also decide to specialize in a part of the world, like Finnair did with Asian flights.
kathia Morano
kathia Morano

Back to top Go down

Post by TA_Max_Huang Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:45 pm

chloé_laluc wrote:➢ Would you go on this website? How do you usually book your flight tickets? Is it stressful for you?
➢ Would you rely more on a human-based research or on a computer-based one? Why?

I've never been to this website before. In fact, I've never heard of Etrip until I read the case.
But I will go to this website for ticket booking if there were an Etrip's website localized for Taiwanese customers.

I usually book my flight ticket through the website of the traval agencies because it is convenient for me. Because I don't go abroad often, I don't care the price at all. The convenience will be the major concern.

I won't be stressful when looking for information on line, but too much informaiton tends to be a big problem. But I think Etrip will be a great help for me to filter out those useless information.

BTW, I have many tech-unsavvy friends. They seldom use computers and Internet to search for information. I think the "Etrip Call" service that will be rolled out soon might be a successful strategy. Because Etrip can fulfill the needs of the customers in the "blue ocean."

The computer-based research may sometimes be unreliable although it is faster. I think it very nice and smart of Etrip to combine computer-based method and human-based method together. Because it can be both reliable and faster. Furthermore, the customers always want some "customerized, tailored, or personal" service. The human-intervened research will give customers the feeling of being taken seriously.
TA_Max_Huang
TA_Max_Huang

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi Fai_Cheng Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:54 pm

soraya_berdeil wrote:The problem with booking your ticket on line is the time you spend to find the cheapest ticket, plus, some of the search engine don 't list all the companies that are available so you c an't be absolutely sure it is the cheapest

Yes, you are totally right. Lets hope the search engine of ETrip is good enough to showcase all airlines in just one website.
Chi Fai_Cheng
Chi Fai_Cheng

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi Fai_Cheng Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:04 pm

florent_lefevre wrote:Exactly, when you have a scattered pool of competitors, you have great opportunity to offer a novel concept and to build strong services that will get you big market shares

I'm not that familiar with tickets search engines, but is this market really that scattered?
Chi Fai_Cheng
Chi Fai_Cheng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next