E-Commerce Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question 6: Radiohead strategy

+21
luis_guerrero
kathia Morano
tobias_off
edwige_aoudiani
uroi.salii
Edghill_Manuel
pierre_paitrault
TA_Max_Huang
soraya_berdeil
florent_lefevre
edith_bonnefond
chloé_laluc
Mariya_Dadiomova
Naomi_Karnovsky
Natalie_Garcia
Felix_Humbaire
jeremie_francois
BartekWu
Aurélie_Thiran
betul_batik
Alexandra_Engel
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Question 6: Radiohead strategy Empty Question 6: Radiohead strategy

Post by Alexandra_Engel Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:31 pm

Why was Radiohead so successful with their strategy?

Alexandra_Engel

Back to top Go down

Question 6: Radiohead strategy Empty Re: Question 6: Radiohead strategy

Post by betul_batik Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:15 pm

Maybe because most of the people who have purchased their album were big fans of the group so lots of determinants such as loyalty, satisfaction and fairness have played in favor of Radiohead.

betul_batik

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurélie_Thiran Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:26 pm

Selling online isn't costly so the marginal cost are low. If additional volume is inexpensive to serve, and you have available capacity the volume gain increases profitability. However, if you have fixed capacity or high-marginal costs, you risk replacing a higher-fee customer with a lower one.

Aurélie_Thiran

Back to top Go down

Post by BartekWu Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:26 pm

Because Radiohead is an AWESOME band! Very Happy

but seriously:) I agree with Betul, these fans represent certain attitude and approach to consumption. They are fans and they want to support their band. PLUS, they had to pay less than for CD in the shop, so any way it is a great deal for them, right? They do not have to pay any CD costs, marketing, CEO's etc., so it is profit for them as well.
BartekWu
BartekWu

Back to top Go down

Post by jeremie_francois Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:42 pm

Perhaps the novelty of the PWYW concept helped, but could fade away in
the future. If all bands had such an approach, none would stand out, so
only the fans would be ready to pay/contribute.

Also, was it really a "success"? Ok they made money, but were they
making as much as with a traditional selling approach? I see it more as
an advantage to appeal to fans, strenghening their loyalty for the
future.

jeremie_francois

Back to top Go down

Post by betul_batik Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Indeed they made more money with this selling strategy than with the traditional one. They sold more than 1 million albums online compared to a few hundred of thousands with their previous albums. They just didnt keep doing this because journalists were more focused of their pricing strategy than on their music. But I think that we will have more explanations on Wednesday with the group presentation about Radiohead.

betul_batik

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix_Humbaire Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:08 pm

Yes, maybe we should wait Wednesday without spoiling our whole presentation Smile
Felix_Humbaire
Felix_Humbaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie_Garcia Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:10 pm

Well, I agree with Aurelie's comment. Marginal costs on production, distribution, marketing, advertising were obviously lower with PWYW model than a traditional brick and mortar album release method. But Radiohead's success was also largely based on the fact that their fan base is so large. A band with a smaller fan base could never profit from PWYW.

Natalie_Garcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie_Garcia Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:18 pm

Also, Radiohead had just finished their contract with their record label (EMI) around that time. Clearly, they were unsatisfied with their profit sharing model with EMI, which is why they decided to distribute it themselves. So, they cut out the middle man, cut out traditional album release costs, and retained greater financial control.

Natalie_Garcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Naomi_Karnovsky Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:24 pm

I think the PWYW strategy worked well for Radiohead in this case for two reasons. Firstly, similarly to what people already said, it's logical to assume that people who bought Radiohead's album have a high internal reference price, and believe that the product is of high quality, considering the fact that music is a matter of taste and people who buy a Radihead album like Radiohead to begin with, and were therefore willing to pay a decent price.

Secondly, the paper mentions that products with high fixed but low variable costs are more appropriate for the application of PWYW because low variable costs limit the risk of prices below costs for the seller. The music industry is the best example for such kind of products - what is called "digital products"- where almost all the costs go into making the first copy (writing the songs, recording the album, etc.) and the variable costs are basically negligible.

So- it makes sense that this strategy would work well in this industry, particularly when considering the fact that these days consumers have the option of downloading songs illegally for free anyway... so this strategy lets them download the music legally and not feel like they're being ripped off.
Naomi_Karnovsky
Naomi_Karnovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariya_Dadiomova Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:07 pm

The other side of their success is that with PWYW strategy Radiohead has reaped enormous publicity, which is a matter of a critical importance in show business. It helped to increase group's popularity by word-of-mouth, attract new fans, who will potentially spend money on the Radiohead future albums.

Mariya_Dadiomova

Back to top Go down

Post by chloé_laluc Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:42 pm

BartekWu wrote:Because Radiohead is an AWESOME band! Very Happy

but seriously:) I agree with Betul, these fans represent certain attitude and approach to consumption. They are fans and they want to support their band. PLUS, they had to pay less than for CD in the shop, so any way it is a great deal for them, right? They do not have to pay any CD costs, marketing, CEO's etc., so it is profit for them as well.

Yeah Bartek! I agree with you afro

The band just offered fans the chance to download its new album from its website and to pay as much as they wanted. The album was downloaded more than 2 million times, I think the variables loyalty (because most of the people who downloaded the album were fans of the band and they wanted to support them) and satistaction (because as they are fans, they already know the band and probably expect to be satisfied with their new album) have directly influenced their willingness to pay to download the album.
chloé_laluc
chloé_laluc

Back to top Go down

Post by edith_bonnefond Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:16 pm

the operation was successful with Radiohead because they have a lot of fans but also because they were the first to do so...(well, I think they were..)
The novelty effect is, in my opinion, even more important than the satisfaction and loyalty of the fans
edith_bonnefond
edith_bonnefond

Back to top Go down

Post by florent_lefevre Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:42 pm

The PWYW is only successful is the 'buyers' want to support the 'seller'. In Beijing, when you buy something, you can more or less set your own price and the seller will do everything to sell the product to you (even if it means a 80% off the initial price). I never agreed to pay high prices because I knew they were achieving big margins by swindling customers.
florent_lefevre
florent_lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by soraya_berdeil Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:50 pm

you are right edith , it was the first major album whose price is determined by what individual consumers want to pay for. Considering the high cost of CDs in shops, the fans were definitely here to download their album. This srategy was a chance for the band to let their album available for every kind of customers , the buzz created around this event was also a good way to attract news customers
soraya_berdeil
soraya_berdeil

Back to top Go down

Post by TA_Max_Huang Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:49 pm

The key factor of Radiohead's success is that they acknowledge the realities of a digital society. They know that if they want to survive they have to follow the trend of the digital music and take advantage of it, for example, 160 kbps MP3 and digital delivery, rather than be the enemy of majority.
TA_Max_Huang
TA_Max_Huang

Back to top Go down

Post by pierre_paitrault Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:33 pm

Radiohead was so successfull because they are a well established band with a lot of fans. Still, they were the first to use this system for the music. 'The buzz' created by this pay what you want model is surely one of the key success.

pierre_paitrault

Back to top Go down

Post by Edghill_Manuel Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm

They were successful not only because costs are rediculously low for online sells, but also because they had first mover advantage and all the hype from their PWYW strategy caused a lot of media attention, which inturn made for free marketing! Also, they didn't have to pay a share to a record company and all the revenue recieved was mostly profit.

I'll like to mention that Trent Reznor (the GREAT Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails) also did an equivalent to this strategy almost simultaneously to Radiohead.

He did so because he was so fed up with record companies dictating his "artistic direction" and to encourage other bands to abandon their label.
Here is a breakdown of Trent Reznor's marketing: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/03/03/pay-what-you-will-for-nine-inch-nails-from-free-to-300/

Trent reported 3 million US$ revenue from this album, this is 100% his. So it works.

BUUUUUUT I also believe that in order to see a profit from this strategy, you need to be a very well known product (band)... The Rattlebrains from TW wont be getting 3 million bucks even if they sound as good or better than Trent Reznor.
Edghill_Manuel
Edghill_Manuel

Back to top Go down

Post by Naomi_Karnovsky Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 pm

I don't agree that it could only work for well known artists. I actually think that it's a really good way for beginning artists to reach customers without having to go through the traditional channels of record companies, but still make some money. I know many new artists upload their music on Youtube, Myspace, etc., and people can usually download it for free. But I think that if those artists would add the option to pay with a PWYW strategy, they could actually make a profit (under the condition that they are actually good Question 6: Radiohead strategy Icon_wink ...) and maybe even get a sense of how good/popular their music is (not the same thing, I know).
Naomi_Karnovsky
Naomi_Karnovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by uroi.salii Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:12 pm

TOTALLY AGREEING WITH NAOMI! it will not only work for known artist but will work more for the unsigned and emerging artists. Instead of just downloading for free from sights it will allow them to make money and create fan base without having to spend the tremendous some of money that they would using traditional channels. According to a Harvard business review called Polyphonic HMI: Mixing Music and Math (just using as a reference to my point) traditional channels will cost them as much as $300,000 just for a new single for new artists which is much less than the known artists expenditures.
uroi.salii
uroi.salii

Back to top Go down

Post by edwige_aoudiani Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:28 pm

And do you think such a strategy could work for new artits/bands to be discover?
Don't you think it might only help them being discovered by a certain amount of people, but not be really profitable for them, since we just said that this strategy might be really profitable thanks to several determinants, such as loyalty, degree of celebrity ..?

edwige_aoudiani

Back to top Go down

Post by tobias_off Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:46 am

One point that has not been mentioned yet is the user data that Radiohead could gather using their PWYW approach. It is a big asset for future sales to know your fans' names, e-mail addresses AND even their individual willingness to pay. Even people who paid nothing for the album at least left their address. (please correct me if I am wrong. Did users have to register online to download the album?)
tobias_off
tobias_off

Back to top Go down

Post by kathia Morano Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:00 am

In belgium, we have a website where we can bet on new artsists. We can put the amount of money we want to launch the artist and pay the money that we want to buy the album. If the artist became successful, we recover the money that we put and generally make profits on it. Even it's new band, even the customer loyalty is law, even degree of celebrity is law, some bands became really successful with that kind of method. Of course, it doesn't work for every new alternative band and cannot be compared to the success of Radiohead but still it's possible to use the same strategy for new band combined with the bet strategy that I mentionned before.
kathia Morano
kathia Morano

Back to top Go down

Post by luis_guerrero Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:04 am

I think it was successful because the cost structure that they have. Sell one song more on line has a very low variable cost, there is just a transaction cost behind, they just had high fix and sunk costs during the production of the Album.

Additionally, the customers of Radiohead are persons who are indentifyed with the band, so their sense of fairness, loyalty and satisfaction play a great role in the value of the purchasing.

The PWYW strategy helped to Radiohead to reach almost every customer gaining from their willingness to pay!
luis_guerrero
luis_guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi Fai_Cheng Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:30 am

Alexandra_Engel wrote:Why was Radiohead so successful with their strategy?

I think because the real fans are willing to pay more than the regular price of the cd. And for people who normally are not willing to pay the price of the regular cd, they can choose their own price and thus are now more willing to pay, which will increase revenue.
Chi Fai_Cheng
Chi Fai_Cheng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next